Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overeaters' Anonymous

Overeaters' Anonymous

For those of you that read or chimed into my thread "The Pancake Incident" or other threads that touched on this you might be quite aware of my problem (addiction?) to certain foods.

Last Wednesday I turned down lunch with a friend (where their watchful eyes would prevent me from overeating) and went to a rather coarse little restaurant for the bluest of the blue collars. At this dimly-lit, seedy establishment one can indulge in unlimited pizza.

And I did. Alone.

For lunch I had at least 12 slices -- good-sized NY style slices. That is the equivalent of one and a half large pizzas.

Afterward, as I stumbled out barely warding off an immediate food coma I realized I needed to do something drastic.

About two years ago I went to an Overeaters' Anonymous meeting. I did not like it, partly because of the seemingly inherent religiosity, but also because it made me admit to myself that I was totally god damn out of control. And OA suggested I really do something about it.

But after those 12 slices of pizza I went back to OA on Wednesday night, then on Thursday morning, then on Saturday morning, and then this evening.

I have been clean since Wednesday night, though I am contending with some serious revelations about myself and the choices -- the long-term choices -- I need to make.

And they are not sitting well with me.

I am so sorry. That’s a lot of food. I would have chosen people over food. Good for you for recognizing it’s a problem. Are you as hard on yourself as you are other people?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am so sorry. That’s a lot of food. I would have chosen people over food. Good for you for recognizing it’s a problem. Are you as hard on yourself as you are other people?
    I don't think I am that hard on anyone -- myself or others. haha

But I will say my frustration with my junk food addiction has turned me into a bit of an irritable grump.

UL, congratulations on seeking help with your eating. Along with the attention you're now bringing to the issues behind your junk-food eating you're probably getting hit by a significant change in what you are eating (or not eating). I hope progress is quick.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I hope progress is quick.
    Thanks.

The thing I am realizing is that I am going to have to profoundly change my identity.

I can't be a big foodie anymore. Everyone comes to me for advice on where to get the best Somali food or the best momo or where a great Indonesian food truck is going to be parked, etc.

I can't be the food guide anymore, I don't think.

My highs and lows in life can't be all about food. My social life cannot be so thoroughly dominated by food.

Ultralight,

Your choices and changes sound healthy and positive. Kudos!

I believe that saying "no" to excessive portions, and "no" to fat-sweet offerings, is a way of saying "yes" to a healthy weight and a smaller waist.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Ultralight,

Your choices and changes sound healthy and positive. Kudos!

I believe that saying "no" to excessive portions, and "no" to fat-sweet offerings, is a way of saying "yes" to a healthy weight and a smaller waist.
    I like your philosophy.

But without being a Big Foodie I feel like much of my identity will be decimated.

I’m really proud of you.

different struggle, but I do understand the journey.

know that you are much more than the food guy.

Knowing you here, I don’t know you as a food guy at all. You love Harlan, you travel, you focus on minimalism in your life, you like to challenge yourself and try new things...

and do I believe you can do this.

know that you are much more than the food guy.
    Agreed. Labels and putting people and yourself in discrete predictable boxes can be limiting and confining. You are more than any one label.

Thread Information