Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The California Fires..........

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    In states without those issues some have winter with snow and ice and people die all winter in car accidents due to the weather, etc. No paradise available.
    I looked at the most recent data on traffic fatality rates per 100 million vehicle miles driven by state. The highest rate at 1.92 is in Puerto Rico which has a warm climate, followed by 1.86 in South Carolina. Mississippi and Kentucky are tied for third at 1.69.

Massachusetts has the lowest fatality rate at .63, followed by Rhode Island at .64, and Minnesota at .66. The District of Columbia is fourth best at .75 and New Jersey is not far behind at .78.

California is 1.07.

ETA: My source is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Interesting. I wonder if someone has dug deeper to figure out why the numbers by state are what they are. My random guess would be that states that commonly have terrible winter weather also have drivers who are reasonable well educated in how to equip their cars and drive in it. After all, we've all seen the video of GA drivers doing poorly in that once a winter snowstorm that Atlanta seems to get every year. And I'll never forget the time I was in Portland Oregon for work and had to fly back to San Francisco the next morning. I woke up to a light snowstorm and, having grown up in denver, didn't think a thing about it. But then I got in a taxi that got on the freeway. And we drove the whole way to the airport at 5mph or less. Because they don't have snowplows or sand trucks. And then I missed my flight and had to spend 5 hours waiting for the next one...

My other thought is that poorer states probably have more older, poorly maintained cars on the road. But that's just a guess. I would love to learn that the occam's razor answer to the question was wrong.

Y, that is really interesting.

Yppej
    I think Mass is low due in part to congestion. You can't drive fast enough to get killed when you're inching along bumper to bumper in traffic. In all cities the speed limit is 55 as well.

They are thinking that PG&E is responsible for the fire because of their malfunctioning lines. They are also responsible for another California fire.

56 people confirmed dead, 8756 residences destroyed, as of 11/14, 6pm.

Where will all these people go? Not to get political about this but these are people that already live here and not people who want to come here. We need to take care of these people first.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Where will all these people go? Not to get political about this but these are people that already live here and not people who want to come here. We need to take care of these people first.
    It's a big, big country. I doubt refugees are requesting housing in Malibu; they can be located anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's a big, big country. I doubt refugees are requesting housing in Malibu; they can be located anywhere.
    I don't think so, not without consequences. For example, I could suggest that refugees from Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador be located in Mexico after being allowed into that country, but I'd get a hard time for it since they obviously have to be located in the US. It would be racist of me to suggest otherwise.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think so, not without consequences. For example, I could suggest that refugees from Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador be located in Mexico after being allowed into that country, but I'd get a hard time for it since they obviously have to be located in the US. It would be racist of me to suggest otherwise.
    We've taken in refugees basically forever; we should have a humane process in place to assign housing. Unless, of course, Trump and his storm troopers have changed the rules. Many of them may prefer to seek asylum in Mexico.

Thread Information