Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The California Fires..........

The California Fires..........

This is just catastrophic. So many people without homes/neighborhoods. Some died being unable to escape.
    Is California going to end up being so dry that no one will live there any more? It's sort of like the devastation from hurricanes that happens in the same areas. Why would people rebuild there, when another hurricane has high probability. Will the people in CA rebuild in this same climate?
    I heard on the news that today the humidity was in the single digits there. That's almost unbelievable.
    What a catastrophe. And then there's Trump, instead of helping in any way, threatening them with loss of Federal funds because they don't manage their forests. What an ass.

Is there anyone on this forum who lives in those areas?

So awful.........

We are about 3 hours away. We have good friends that have lost everything. They won't rebuild. The humidity in this part of the country is very low. They are still working so will probably move to Chico but that only has 50k population so no clue how many people they can absorb. Paradise is a beautiful area.

We used to visit Paradise every time we went to CA to visit my mom and dad. We had favorite places to stop and check out. It was a pretty place to live in high cost California and there were a lot of retirees. There were few routes in and out and all two lane. I truly believe there will be more fatalities.

I live about 3.5 hours south of Paradise. It’s a horrific situation, Fire is still raging, threatening Oroville today. There has been no measurable rain in the area for 212 days. That’s 7 months! Humidity is always relatively low, but this single digit stuff coupled with the hig winds is just a recipe for more disaster. We had a housing shortage, before last years fires, now add all of this years destruction... just really hard to wrap my head around it, and I live here. We also have a shortage of RVs in California because they have been bought for temporary housing. More RVs have been sold in n California this year than any other year.

We are thinking about selling our RV. If I can get hubby on board will advertise in California.

I cannot imagine the terror of this, the stench and the devastation. Such a beautiful area destroyed and so many lives.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The death count is increasing. Now 42-44 plus structures and forest devastation.

CathyA to answer your original question, why would people rebuild there or in multiple hurricane, tornado or flood areas?

jobs, family, faith that God has a master plan. So many reasons. With rising and warming seas, alterations in rain patterns, diverting normal water flow through dams etc., water lowering the water tables so people can have green lawns, more concrete and asphalt and so on this will not be getting better soon.

We we drove neat the recent Carolina floods. They are clearing the trees out of the medians and digging ditches on route 95 as trees littered this area making it impassable. What little we saw was really a mess. Groups around me just sent a bunch of quilts and food staples, up to the Panhandle where people who lost everything are living in tents. There is no housing available and for those who have nowhere to go, or actually can continue to work, or no money to go somewhere they are making do

There is an hour long video made by someone to help people identify whether their house/business still exists and to help those far away. This fire was so hot and fast, it burned things to the ground. There are a couple of buildings with the metal stairs to the second floor being the only thing remaining. And there are a few surviving properties which could be located right next to lost ones. A devastating fire.

There will be many more casualties from the stories of survivors and their descriptions of neighbors and friends who were often aged or physically unable to get around fast. That and the fire hitting at night and being so fast and hot will cause much greater loss of life.

There are also great stories of heroism and survival.

Yppej
    There are not enough safe relatively natural disaster free places for the world's growing population. Lots of people around the world have to live in undesirable places. Think of poor Bangladesh for instance.

In states without those issues some have winter with snow and ice and people die all winter in car accidents due to the weather, etc. No paradise available.

Thread Information