Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The California Fires..........

The problem Alan is jobs. Mexico doesn't have jobs for it's own people and we have openings for entry level low skilled workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The problem Alan is jobs. Mexico doesn't have jobs for it's own people and we have openings for entry level low skilled workers.
    I don't think economic status is a qualification for refugee status, if that is what they are seeking there are other processes in place to accommodate.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If I was fleeing for my life I would be concerned about how I was going to live and feed my family so yes jobs is a secondary consideration I am sure. Doesn't do much good to flee violence and then starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think economic status is a qualification for refugee status, if that is what they are seeking there are other processes in place to accommodate.
    No, poverty is not sufficient for refugee status. But I don't think that was TT's point. (she can please correct me if I misunderstood her) WHat I got from her post is that if the options are for them to either stay in mexico and be dependent on charity or government assistance for housing and food or, come to the US and with some modest help getting settled, get a job and be self sufficient it might make more sense all the way around for us to be willing to assist them.

Yes JP that’s my point.

Who cares if it's a big country, there is already insufficient housing in CA already, and it's burning down. People have jobs and so on already where they are (well not retirees I guess). So people in paradise etc. move to nearby towns but I just hope those towns don't have a rental shortage. They are lifting some restrictions on people living in campers etc. (and they should).

The people headed for the border it seems are looking for jobs, not political refuge, jobs. Or that's the latest I heard (from credible news). I think (although this is my speculation) it's possible they are even misinformed about what life will really be like for them here. Working and living conditions might be quite brutal indeed when your working illegally and thus the employer can do whatever they want to you (there's even slavery going on although it probably won't be quite that bad). Living conditions it goes without saying will be in squalor.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

The people headed for the border it seems are looking for jobs, not political refuge, jobs. Or that's the latest I heard (from credible news). I think (although this is my speculation) it's possible they are even misinformed about what life will really be like for them here. Working and living conditions might be quite brutal indeed when your working illegally and thus the employer can do whatever they want to you (there's even slavery going on although it probably won't be quite that bad). Living conditions it goes without saying will be in squalor.
    I assume you heard about what these people seeking refuge want before the election. From Trump (err, fox) news. It's telling that trump has STFU about them since election day. I fully expect the soldiers at the border protecting us from these psycho evil people will be sent home with no news about it sometime soon. And these refugees, on the off chance that we actually accept them, won't be working here undocumented if they actually get refugee status. So any stress about how awful their life would be as undocumented people is just conservative fantasy. Stop buying into the pathetic right wing BS about them.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I assume you heard about what these people seeking refuge want before the election. From Trump (err, fox) news.
    I heard it on public radio today, some reporter who had talked with people in the caravan, probably an NPR show, but it's not all syndicated. I don't own a t.v. nor a smartphone so Fox news isn't even all that readily available, I suppose there is a website. It's a credible source more or less though, the news aspect, just not one I tend to read.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Who says the refugees would all stay in California? I think they would fan across the country like Chicanos have.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's a big, big country. I doubt refugees are requesting housing in Malibu; they can be located anywhere.
    Hi Jane. When does it all stop? When our sea-to-shining-sea is like Hong Kong? A lot of my feeling is coming from living out in the country in the midwest, where very close by, small towns have turned into cities. I don't think we have to always live like that.......constantly consuming every inch of land with homes and businesses. And that's not even addressing the state of our education in this country.. And all the poor people we already have. And what about the resources?

We have to think of the health and welfare of those already here before constantly letting in millions of others. And they can be any race from anywhere on this planet. I still think we need to protect those already here.........and appreciate that we can't fill up every inch of land everywhere with people.

Thread Information