Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 possible places to move!

The main thing is to remember that whatever you decide, you will be able to move on when you are ready to do so. The latest sounds really positive.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am watching how you are using a storage unit in this transition, and it has given me ideas for being flexible in our future moves. While I think paying for storage units on a permenant is silly, I see how they are very handy, and cheaper overall, in transitory situations.

Yes IL, I have used them in every big transition and I really find using a storage unit intentionally reduces a lot of stress. In under 10 years I have gone from 2500 ft2 with a full open basement to renting a kinda small room in a shared house. My dad gave me grief about having a storage unit in my last move and I gave him grief right back, he has a 4 bedroom house in Iowa with most rooms comfortably full, a storage space in the basement and a garage. I did have everything fit in my last 2 bedroom place because there were a couple big closets, I am not even trying at this point. The camping gear and kitchen gear to feed a crows would never fit in a rented room and I use them a couple times a year.

In using a storage unit for a transition I think the biggest benefits are to reduce stress and slow down the process of a major downsize so you can make careful choices. Even in the biggest downsize with the foreclosure I only rented for a couple months but it was a huge stress reliever to see what I really used. There are very few things that I regret leaving behind but definitely some. The last move I left behind a folding table when I ran out of time and then ended up buying a new one when I needed it.

That sounds like a much better situation.

Thread Information