Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Cold Winter This Year

I think every winter is long and cold...piedmont Maryland- probably 10 days of snow, lots of icy mornings but I hate planning anything in the winter because I am a chicken on the roads....I grew up in Pittsburgh adn remember just going out in the snow all the time but now I just won't. I don't know how you Northerners do it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    In our city, there are a sizable number of beds that go unfilled on really cold nights. It seems some homeless prefer their encampments to going to a shelter that has "rules".
    About a year ago we met a homeless person who wintered through in a tent on the east side of the Twin Cities. He used a propane stove; one of his few possessions beyond the tent and some clothes and an inexpensive mobile phone. He mentioned the "rules" about possessions at the shelters (besides not being allowed to drink and not tolerating fighting, the possessions thing is a practical issue; some of the homeless here have commandeered shopping carts for their belongings and shelter staff prefer placing an additional cot or sleeping bag in the shelter rather than parking a shopping cart). He also mentioned being thrown out "permanently" from the biggest downtown shelter, for fighting (after, he said, someone used the n-word in an argument with him; the other party was thrown out, too).

After a while he met someone and sheltered in her car for several weeks. By then it was warmer. His appearances became more sporadic as the weather improved; I hope his prospects did, too. He was a really nice guy, but there was just something in him that wasn't up to settling down to a room or an apartment.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We notice that here there are quite a few folk who appear to be living in their cars and old RVs. They move them around daily so as not to get ticketed. One fellow at our neighborhood park is living in a little old Toyota pickup crammed to the roof with stuff. I can't imagine trying to sleep in there when it is 15 degrees outside. I would love to know their stories and why they choose to stay in such cold places if homeless. I think I would figure out a way to get to a more temperate climate but maybe they are just stuck - in more ways than one.

Just imagine those who are homeless in Anchorage Alaska. The police and advocates spend all winter trying to keep them alive. It is a struggle to overcome the drugs, alcohol and mental illness and there are always some who usually drink and die in the cold. https://www.theguardian.com/society/...omeless-deaths

And now there's been an earthquake. I don't know how people survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tomorrow I am bringing a 100 scarves I made to a homeless event.
    100! i am sure they will be greatly appreciated! What a kind thing to do.

Greg, it takes me a entire year to make them. I knit at night while I watch TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Greg, it takes me a entire year to make them. I knit at night while I watch TV.
    I am just amazed how you can do that and watch TV at the same time! Your hands must just take over! So cool to share your talent like that.

I am not crafty. A friend taught me to knit 10 years ago and I can only do the basic stitch. It took me forever to learn. It was hard but I got good. I made them for everyone I knew. My son was making fun of me and said I should have my own label since all the homeless people were wearing them. I ordered labels that said handmade with love by Terry.

Aw-w-w-w. Brilliant!

Thread Information