Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Cold Winter This Year

Snow! We finally got some snow. Albeit, timing wasn't fabulous. It snowed through our championship football game (which we lost). But this morning when I took DH to the airport I got to make first tracks in the 'hood.

LOVE me some snow! Bring it on

We got ours yesterday too but it didn’t last the day. My husky/shepherd mix loves it. He runs around and then lays down and makes snow angels)

We've had a mild and beautiful Autumn and now winter has arrived, right on schedule, with snow on the mountains and lots of rain in our valley. Just wonderful. Time to dig out the long underwear!

As a newbie to snow, I am still fascinated by it. Watching it fall silently is mesmerizing. The cold has taken some getting used to though - right now I have tights, thermals and sweats on to feel toasty inside. Then again, we set the heater at 63 to keep the bill down.

We keep ours at 68 but set it to 58 at bedtime. Then we close our bedroom door and turn that heater on 68. It lowers our bill without freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    As a newbie to snow, I am still fascinated by it. Watching it fall silently is mesmerizing. The cold has taken some getting used to though - right now I have tights, thermals and sweats on to feel toasty inside. Then again, we set the heater at 63 to keep the bill down.
    Always makes me chuckle. I get out my coat when it's below 30. I went out and scraped snow this morning with my ski gloves, my sweatshirt and fleece pants. 27 degrees.

I've lived in snow country since 1971.

I have spent most of my life in a much colder climate so these are sissy winters here)

I love the snow... as long as everyone is somewhere safe and sound. I hate the snow when I have someone trying to make their way home in it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Greg, it takes me a entire year to make them. I knit at night while I watch TV.
    You must watch a lot of tv...

I can't imagine being homeless in Minneapolis. The cold, living outside, would just be too much. And having to decide between not being able to bring one's few possessions inside and potentially losing them vs. staying outside and potentially freezing. Ugggh. I get it that homeless shelters want to maximize space for people. It's a shame they can't have the equivalent of transit station bike lockers outside for people to be able to secure their belongings for the night.

Personally, I grew up in Denver and decided to go to the U of Miami in part because of the weather. (Loved the weather in Miami. Everything else, not so much...) Another 18 years in NYC and I finally moved to San Francisco where it never snows. Although tahoe is one of our potential retirement locations I'd really just as soon never see snow again. The only reason I'm willing to include tahoe on our list is because retired people don't have to go out when it's snowing. And tahoe in the summer is awesome!

Thread Information