Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long Cold Winter This Year

JP, you could live in Reno and go up to Tahoe when you want to. Much less snow. Greg, if I am home I usually watch tv from 5-10 pm. I don’t read at night usually because by then I am tired. I do that during the day. When I worked full time I didn’t have the time to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I can't imagine being homeless in Minneapolis. The cold, living outside, would just be too much.
    I suspect there is a fair amount of self-selection. Those who can't handle (or just don't like) the cold migrate further south. The homeless guy we befriended had a pretty decent winter coat, boots, a wool cap, and gloves; he had a propane stove for his tent.

As many people have said, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes." There are times, however, when even the right clothes only hold you for so long.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I went to graduate school in northern Wisconsin and I cannot imagine being outside in that all night. We have had people freeze and die here or lose their limbs from frostbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    JP, you could live in Reno and go up to Tahoe when you want to. Much less snow.
    Actually Reno is on the mid-tier list of potential retirement locations. There are a lot of things we're juggling on our wish list and reno doesn't meet all of them, like walkable neighborhoods (feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong on that) but it does meet some of them, like state taxes. At this point we have ten-ish years to make our decision so there's plenty of time for information gathering.

We live in the old North West which is nice and 1 mile from downtown. We walk to tons of things. Retirees and young people are moving in to our neighborhood like crazy for this reason. Midtown is closer but the prices are much higher than ours because it’s closer. I have lived all over the country and I love this area. Something going on all the time. So fun. I love the mild 4 seasons.

Yppej
    For weeks it has been a cold winter so far out my way, and it's not even officially winter yet.

We're going above freezing tomorrow.....maybe. It's been chilly all week. But not sub-zero so I'm happy!

Just check the computer for weather and we're at 21 right now for an early Saturday morning.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information