Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicapped parking spot

Handicapped parking spot

Work just keeps on giving ridiculous stuff! I couldn't make this up if I tried!

There is one handicapped spot right in front of front door. No one disabled in office, so it doesn't get used. Noticed a few days recently that someone has been parking in the spot. No handicapped placard in view or plates. Turns out it was one of the warehouse workers who is temporarily on crutches. We warned her that parking there without a placard might get her a ticket ($250). She said she'd take her chances.

She was parked in the handicapped spot again today. Cops came by and she got a ticket. She was a drama llama when she came out to her car at lunch and saw the ticket. Turns out another of the warehouse workers called the cops and which resulted in her getting a ticket. This guy's mother uses a wheelchair and sometimes has been unable to get a parking spot due to unauthorized people parking in handicapped spots. He said he got tired of seeing someone without placard parking in the handicapped spot at my office, so he called it in.

The warehouse workers are temps and just drama queens!

She's unhappy with the consequences of her actions - maybe the $250 will be a lesson.

At my work years ago there was a temp doing the same thing, parking in a reserved spot. The first time she was given a warning, second time she was told if you do it again you will be fired. Yep, she parked there again and was surprised when she was told she no longer had a job. Weird thing is it's a big parking lot, all free, and she could have parked elsewhere. I don't get that mindset.

I would have given her my parking spot if she was on crutches. But if the cops or co-workers don't know, they're going to give you a ticket.

The worst was my BIL. My MIL was handicapped and got a placard. But BIL would regularly drive her car to the shopping center, train station, whatever, and then hang the placard on the rear view mirror. Honestly. He deserved the fine and then some. Sometimes people can't get past their own little world.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My spot was far from the door. And given her attitude, I wouldn’t have given up a closer space anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My spot was far from the door. And given her attitude, I wouldn’t have given up a closer space anyway.
    I'm not saying you should have. I was saying that if she's on crutches it would be nice for her to not have to walk as far. So her using the handicapped space wouldn't have bothered me, but she should fully expect to have gotten a ticket.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What I don't understand about those parking places is why the heck the doctor does not give you a temporary one. My husband shattered his pelvis, and they did not give us one, and you better believe walking was hard for him.
    Maybe not permanently hard for him, but it was a rough 3-4 months.

At my last workplace we had a private lot with numerous handicap spaces available for employees and visitors. I routinely issued temporary permits to employees if they could show a need, such as late stage pregnancy or broken bones which limited mobility, etc.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    At my last workplace we had a private lot with numerous handicap spaces available for employees and visitors. I routinely issued temporary permits to employees if they could show a need, such as late stage pregnancy or broken bones which limited mobility, etc.
    Now that makes sense!! I think the crutches employee should have had a space closer to the building, but I understand about the parking placards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What I don't understand about those parking places is why the heck the doctor does not give you a temporary one. My husband shattered his pelvis, and they did not give us one, and you better believe walking was hard for him.
    Maybe not permanently hard for him, but it was a rough 3-4 months.
    Did you actually request the form signed by the doctor to submit to your state licensing bureau? I had a 6 month temp after my total knee and got the form 3w before surgery so I would have it by surgery day.

I think I only used a handicap spot 6-8 times. I tried to find a spot close enough so someone in worse shape than me could have the much needed HC space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Did you actually request the form signed by the doctor to submit to your state licensing bureau? I had a 6 month temp after my total knee and got the form 3w before surgery so I would have it by surgery day.

I think I only used a handicap spot 6-8 times. I tried to find a spot close enough so someone in worse shape than me could have the much needed HC space.
    Yeah -- here in WA the temporary ones are pretty easy to get. I got the paperwork for one for my mom at her last medical appointment. She was on hospice/oxygen at that point, so met the criteria as she could not walk far. Took the forms to the licensing office on the way home and got the placard immediately. Sadly never used it as mom declined pretty rapidly from that point on.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information