Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handicapped parking spot

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What I don't understand about those parking places is why the heck the doctor does not give you a temporary one. My husband shattered his pelvis, and they did not give us one, and you better believe walking was hard for him.
    Maybe not permanently hard for him, but it was a rough 3-4 months.
    Here in IL, you have to get a form signed by a medical professional and take it to the Secretary of State's office (aka DMV) to get a temporary placard. The doctors don't hand out the placards themselves.

Heck, when I had my shingles attack in March and had issues walking (I even had to have 10 PT sessions), it didn't even occur to me to get a temporary placard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    At my last workplace we had a private lot with numerous handicap spaces available for employees and visitors. I routinely issued temporary permits to employees if they could show a need, such as late stage pregnancy or broken bones which limited mobility, etc.
    We have a private lot, as well, but cops still have access to the lot. I don't even know if it's legal for workplaces here to issue temporary permits for employees without a handicapped placard to park in a handicapped spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    We have a private lot, as well, but cops still have access to the lot. I don't even know if it's legal for workplaces here to issue temporary permits for employees without a handicapped placard to park in a handicapped spot.
    Police only entered our property upon request. The placards we produced and distributed clearly noted their validity only at our company name and address and their issuance was cleared with the local authority (county Sheriff).
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I agree with the other comments. WHy didn't she get a temporary permit. I don't know about in IL, but in CO as soon as my dad was prescribed part-time oxygen his doc practically forced him to accept a handicap permit even though my stubborn father didn't want one if he "didn't really need it" It sat in the glove box of his car until my sister and I were visiting him a couple years later and drove to dinner one night and the only parking spot was the handicap spot and he said, "oh, well, I've got this. I guess we could park there," and he pulled it out for it's first ever use. (by this point he was dragging around an oxygen tank anytime he left his apartment.) I can't imagine docs are especially stingy with approvals for them.

Temporary permit regulations vary from state to state. Some states make it easy, some don't.

In the OP, if the woman on crutches was a temp and getting the permit meant that she'd have to go to the DVM, she'd lose pay for the hours she was away from work getting the permit. Or she might have faced consequences from the temp agency if she took time off to deal with getting the permit, especially if she'd already missed time due to whatever put her on crutches.

One time I was on crutches for 10 days. I asked the doctor about a temporary permit and he said it wasn't worth it for such a short time and refused. But I was working on a university campus and my designated parking lot was a mile from the building where I worked. I was forced to take the campus shuttle bus, which meant getting to campus an hour before I needed to so that I could catch the bus and not be late to work. The parking office on campus also refused to issue me a temporary permit to park in a closer parking lot. Those were some very unpleasant days.

Miss Cellaneous, your experience was much closer to our experiences than what others have described here. I have been in a wheelchair and they would not do a temporary permit. But that was 15 years ago, maybe things have improved for others.

Did the guy who called the police first try to talk with the person on crutches directly? Or if he didn't know who it was did he leave a kind informative note on the car? And only after that call the police?

Thread Information