Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter holidays at school.

To be clear personally and professionally are really different for me. Personally I accept any greetings, cards, gifts with the spirit they were intended. If someone says Merry Christmas then I respond the same. If I know someone's practices I will focus on that. If I know nothing I will say Happy Holidays.

However in school there are some common standards, with variation of course, and that is a separation of church and state. I think it is a lot to try and cover all the traditions and holidays personally so I like my winter theme. However I really have not seen so much Christmas in a school in a very long time so it is throwing me off. And I do realize I am making an unconscious judgement. I know that this can spark a lot of reactions so I want to share what is happening for me. My judgement is that these are people who will like me as long as they think i have certain things in common with them, however I can't assume they will continue to like or accept me. It is not that they are mean people or that they don't like me but finding out this religious difference sometimes makes people really uncomfortable. There have been times when someone has had no context for me other than knowing I would go to hell. I am pretty much like everyone else and just want a fair shot at being liked.

Can you practice letting it go? See it as a big two month challenge to be tolerant to something that you don't approve of? Just let it go and ignore it, rather than dwelling on it and getting upset by it and creating narratives where people will not like you because of your religion?

It sounds like it's been a really good job and a nice place. It sounds like the place has made a value judgment that is different than your own. Can you rise above it and tolerate their differing viewpoint?

To be clear this was just starting a conversation, it is not something that is taking over my thoughts too much. I am just wondering about how other people may see it. I am not thinking too much about whether or not people like me. I value a lot of connection so that is where this is hard, I can be silent, tolerate, step back, or be open to an opportunity where I can bring something up and then build better connections.

However when this general subject has come up before there is a strange thing, I am trying to explain it but it is hard. It is like encouraging a more PC, inclusive way of doing things somehow is backwards to me. When I see that the person/s who are in the less dominant group simply want to be included and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    T
    However when this general subject has come up before there is a strange thing, I am trying to explain it but it is hard. It is like encouraging a more PC, inclusive way of doing things somehow is backwards to me. When I see that the person/s who are in the less dominant group simply want to be included and welcome.
    I don't understand what you are saying here--am not following you?

I live in an area where people seem refreshingly unconcerned about others' religions and I like it that way. I've never been called out for not having one.
    I don't think of Denver as a rabidly Christian metropolis, but I have no basis for thinking that.

Zoe, to be specific, what do you call “too much Christmas?” Are we talking manager scenes and the wise men, or simply Christmas trees and Santa?

I guess what squicks me these days is how political Christmas has become. It seems as if you say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" you get branded as an enemy of America.

well some say at some point everything became culture war ...

(probably for very cynical reasons)
    Trees don't grow on money

Okay I am not being clear it seems. And it is not something I am very upset about, just opening a conversation honestly.

Basically I was trained to not bring religion into schools and publicly funded institutions. That means to me and based on years of work and experience that either there are not religious type references or a solid effort to include a variety. This has been my experience since my elementary schooling in the 70's. I have not seen an entire display of Christmas only decorations, maybe people don't realize this? I have educated my staff every single year on religious projects in school, and it has not been a big deal. Just a training point.

It has never been a big deal, however the last couple of years I have seen more negativity overall. It really threw me off to hear things like I shouldn't do any version of Christmas because I was not properly Christian, or see the upset over a coffee cup or Happy Holidays, or being seen as oversensitive because I am just going ahead with making more people comfortable. Honestly it feels more like projection because I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I guess what squicks me these days is how political Christmas has become. It seems as if you say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" you get branded as an enemy of America.
    But no one here is saying that, and some people here even embrace your Yule event.

Today I am annoyed by faux victims created by overstated causes. Dont annoy me, please and thank you.

If whatever one celebrates includes lights and winter greenery, I will come to your celebration. I personally I am not interested in angels and nativities and heaps of sugary lardy sweets and piles of cheap crap from China.

Thread Information