Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Winter holidays at school.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Only you could find something to curl your lip at in "exploring other winter holidays." Heaven forfend that anyone should enjoy a variety of seasonal celebrations without turning them into a symbol for resentment politics.
    It looks like you're firmly in the Political Christmas camp.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It looks like you're firmly in the Political Christmas camp.
    As I said above, I couldn't care less how others wish me good cheer during the holiday season; I've been saying "happy holidays" as long as I can remember. It's not the lefties that made a fetish object of "merry Christmas."

The original post left out the "Balkanization Christmas," where some stake out cultural molehills to defend vigorously, consequently missing opportunities to relax and enjoy the festivities.

We usually have a Polish Xmas eve and my DIL cooks. That’s important to her. Xmas day I make a main course and people bring salad, dessert, wine. Any of our kids are welcome to join also. It varies yearly in who can attend. No focus on gifts but just being together and having fun. 2 of the people who regularly attend are Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We usually have a Polish Xmas eve and my DIL cooks. That’s important to her. Xmas day I make a main course and people bring salad, dessert, wine. Any of our kids are welcome to join also. It varies yearly in who can attend. No focus on gifts but just being together and having fun. 2 of the people who regularly attend are Jewish.
    Expansion is usually better than contraction--especially where holidays are concerned.

Heaven forfend that anyone should enjoy a variety of seasonal celebrations without turning them into a symbol for resentment politics.
    I don’t resent it any more than I resent your appeal to Heaven. It’s really more in the nature of amusement politics. I have no problem with people having a good time on St Patrick’s Day or Chinese New Year without the genetic testing to back it up. I just find it funny that people look at it as a way of establishing diversity credentials when so many other borrowings from other cultures are callout-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don’t resent it any more than I resent your appeal to Heaven. It’s really more in the nature of amusement politics. I have no problem with people having a good time on St Patrick’s Day or Chinese New Year without the genetic testing to back it up. I just find it funny that people look at it as a way of establishing diversity credentials when so many other borrowings from other cultures are callout-worthy.
    I think cultural exchanges are generally a good thing; I'm not one to accuse others of "cultural appropriation" anyway.

I do, however, question you citing the concept of Christian love when you seem to disdain many of the groups Christ championed--like prisoners and refugees. Or is that just "virtue signalling?"

I do, however, question you citing the concept of Christian love when you seem to disdain many of the groups Christ championed--like prisoners and refugees. Or is that just "virtue signalling?"
    You have hit on one of the subtle differences between Christ and me.

Not so subtle if even I can suss it out.
    That's OK--there are plenty of us heathens to take up the slack.

That's OK--there are plenty of us heathens to take up the slack.
    You mean talk about your empathy while not doing much?

Damn, I knew you would come up with a good response, I just didnt predict what it would be!

Thread Information