Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Winter holidays at school.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I have no problem at all with taking an interest in other cultures. “Cultural Appropriation” is nonsense. But I have had too many boring conversations with the equivalent of travel snobs trying to impress with their collection of souvenirs. It seems to get worse around the holidays for some reason.
    Oh dear, there are so many boring conversations that go on and on, I hear them about cooking meat, about alcoholic drink recipes, and so many about popular culture. I even get the boring ones at the meditation groups about retreats which gets rather one-up style. However I don't really need to say there is a big thing about it, and sometimes I feel awkward and left out. People talk like they do about 'diversity' like a lot of topics, and a lot of people are just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So what DO you talk about at cocktail parties if not children and vacations? I’m fortunate that none of our circle of friends have kids so that topic gets replaced with pets. But vacations and pets are frequemt topics, followed closely with politics.
    I find it varies by the group. Among my contemporaries, I see an alarming increase in topics relating to medical diagnoses and funerals. Among the work crowd, it tends to be politics and the economy. Among family, about half the topics end in “ball”, while they also cover the state of Wisconsin agriculture, investing and the need to check our white cis-gender privilege to acknowledge our implicit biases and strive for restorative justice for our intersectional allies.

Last night we met up with long time friends, and the topics were

1) dogs
    2) millennials—kids these days! ( note that these 6 adults representing 4 households are all childless)
    3) dogs
    4) hearing loss and new over-the-counter hearing aids, and I tried out one of them
    5) death experiences of relatives our age and older
    6) dogs

so, I guess in my circle dogs=children

I like hearing about vacations of our friends if they are going someplace I want to go. We have friends who travel to super interesting places each year, and I request a dinner and photo showing evening with them to de-brief them. They are 78 and 81 years old!

This reminds me that I need to invite them for dinner this week to get their rundown on
    Morroco.

I love hearing about people’s vacations. Dogs and kids are also topics along with politics.

We talk about trips and what we're doing, travel, food, books, current events, cats and dogs, politics, and whatever subject comes up.

As a non-parent, I can't think of anything more boring than other people's children--at least when they're little. Friends' children are old enough to be interesting, with school and work.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We talk about trips and what we're doing, travel, food, books, current events, cats and dogs, politics, and whatever subject comes up.

As a non-parent, I can't think of anything more boring than other people's children--at least when they're little. Friends' children are old enough to be interesting, with school and work.
    The thing about little children, for me anyway, is that they have to be in the room and then they’re entertaining. Toddlers are a scream! But talking about toddlers is a bore.

I am a mom of 3 and a grandma, I don't totally like hearing about others children either. Yes I do recall when my world revolved around what they ate and the cycles of sleep, pee and poop. However no one really wants to hear too much of that. I keep my granddaughter talk to a couple short, cute stories. I agree with being in the room with them! The younger siblings come into my program at pick up and I love chatting with them while parents try to collect all the backpacks and stuff for the older kids (plus I make sure those 3 year old twins do not run out of the opposite sides of the room).

IL I am excited to be back in a dog house, and the new roommate said it will be nice to have another cat around. Cat stories are not as interesting however.

Cat stories are the best! I'll never tire of hearing about cats getting in boxes. Although our cats are apparently abnormal. We tried setting cucumbers near them and instead of freaking out they just sniffed them and then walked away in boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    IL I am excited to be back in a dog house, and the new roommate said it will be nice to have another cat around. Cat stories are not as interesting however.
    I don't know--I follow a feral cat rescue called Tiny Kittens out of Langley, BC, and they seem to have a steady supply of conversation fodder. There always seems to be a health-compromised kitty convalescing on one of their live feeds. One of the recent ones was a kitten with a large cleft in her palate who sailed through an operation to fix it. I was amazed at that one because it was a fraught process getting her to that point, so lots of drama.

Thread Information