Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter holidays at school.

My grandsons public school in central Phoenix doesn’t do any holidays. No parties for the kids either. They have fall break, winter break, and spring break. I like how it’s secular and let’s all the religion up to the home environment.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But no one here is saying that, and some people here even embrace your Yule event.

Today I am annoyed by faux victims created by overstated causes. Dont annoy me, please and thank you.
    I think I agree with you, I don't celebrate all the holidays other people do. It has not been a problem. If I go to a store that does not have what I need then I don't shop there. If they have lots of of items such as Christmas that I would not buy, I don't care. So why does anyone feel they are being treated badly because I say Happy Holidays like I have forever, or if a winter cup is not in your preferred colors. From talking to my Jewish friends and families they adapted a long time ago. A joke my assistant told me was Judaism started X thousands of years ago, China started 1,000 years later. Those were the dark years. (they go out for Chinese food on Christmas since they don't celebrate).

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If whatever one celebrates includes lights and winter greenery, I will come to your celebration. I personally I am not interested in angels and nativities and heaps of sugary lardy sweets and piles of cheap crap from China.
    I think you would like Diwali (I know I would), which features lights and Indian feasts.

Diwali is a wonderful holiday, there is a definite theme of lights.

In the cold wintry climate where we live now, much is made of Christmas or winter holiday decor, which I think has to do with people yearning for lights. Down south in South Carolina and Georgia, not much decoration went on. It was really nice; I enjoyed the laid back approach. A wreath with magnolia and a ladys apple, maybe a spiced pomander, and a blooming Christmas cactus, and call it a day.

But the Yankees in the wintry climes up here do a bunch more and I really enjoy the lights in the snow, very appealing. So I guess it is cultural that way. when i'm up here, I enjoy the holiday decor. Down home, I enjoyed not having to do it, or just making sure my Christmas cactus was blooming.

[QUOTE=Tybee;314850]In the cold wintry climate where we live now, much is made of Christmas or winter holiday decor, which I think has to do with people yearning for lights. Down south in South Carolina and Georgia, not much decoration went on. It was really nice; I enjoyed the laid back approach. A wreath with magnolia and a ladys apple, maybe a spiced pomander, and a blooming Christmas cactus, and call it a day.

But the Yankees in the wintry climes up here do a bunch more and I really enjoy the lights in the snow, very appealing. So I guess it is cultural that way. when i'm up here, I enjoy the holiday decor. Down home, I enjoyed not having to do it, or just making sure my Christmas cactus was blooming.[/QUOTE
    I think that you have hit a really important point. My mother was nuts about Christmas and it was fun to watch her excitement and joy. Was she especially religious in any way, no, but she loved festivities that were fun, loving and giving. For her, it was cultural and I don't think that I ever realized that until now so thanks for the insight, Tybee.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Dwali is probably ok, the Desi students at Wash U here put on a theatrical performance each year. But Holi has always fascinated me. What, you throw “color” at each other? Has a different meaning in the ‘hood here. I like better the idea of becoming blue and pink during Holi.

I think there are a number of versions of Christmas celebrated or decried by various elements.

There is Merchandising/Potlatch Christmas, a time we can put a price tag on love and friendship.

There is Social/Entertainment Christmas, a time we can celebrate through parties and television specials.

There is the religious holiday, a time some few of us celebrate as the conquest of death by love despite the substantial body of contrary evidence.

There is political Christmas, a time we can signal our various concepts of virtue and highlight our differences by taking offense at other people’s taking offense at practices most of us don’t genuinely care much about anyway.

There is Diversity/Cultural Appropriation Christmas, a time we explore other winter holidays to display our cosmopolitanism and eclectic tastes for others to admire.

God bless us, every one.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 11-20-18 at 11:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think there are a number of versions of Christmas celebrated or decried by various elements.

There is Merchandising/Potlatch Christmas, a time we can put a price tag on love and friendship.

There is Social/Entertainment Christmas, a time we can celebrate through parties and television specials.

There is the religious holiday, a time some few of us celebrate as the conquest of death by love.

There is political Christmas, a time we can signal our various concepts of virtue and highlight our differences by taking offense at other people’s taking offense at practices most of us don’t genuinely care much about anyway.

There is Diversity/Cultural Appropriation Christmas, a time we explore other winter holidays to display our cosmopolitanism and eclectic tastes for others to admire.

God bless us, every one.
    Only you could find something to curl your lip at in "exploring other winter holidays." Heaven forfend that anyone should enjoy a variety of seasonal celebrations without turning them into a symbol for resentment politics.

Hmm, I think I will classify myself as personally celebrating because it makes my family really happy, and I can relate to the message. I don't need to be that person who says they can't join family/friends because I don't have all the same personal beliefs. So I go to Christmas events, answer Merry Christmas, attend Hannukah, ask people about their holidays. I share about mine as they come up (we just had a Katina and it was amazing). I am not concerned about the cultural appropriation part, I never thought anyone was going to admire me! I have been doing this since elementary school, but if someone thinks that of me that is there problem. The only people who have thought that of me generally already had a lot of assumptions about me already.

However I very strictly keep that out of school. I say winter break and holidays to everyone. With students I don't know I say 'family' instead of mom or dad.

Thread Information