Thread: Pods

Yppej

Pods

Has anyone stayed in a pods hotel?

No, but I would like to try it!

I think they are a great idea. When I'm on the road, I usually just need a place to sleep. Why pay for a bunch of space you don't use?

They are apparently very popular in Japan. I'd love to see more of them in the US.

Claustrophobic!

Me too Tammy!

I just watched a documentary about the Plaza Hotel in New York City which is pretty much the diametric opposite of a pod hotel. Regular rooms at the plaza seem to cost 650 $700-ish. How much are these pods in Tokyo?

Youtube has a bunch of videos of people trying out the pod hotels in Japan. Many of them have large common spaces for watching tv, going online, eating, etc., so you'd only use the pod itself when you wanted privacy or to go to sleep. They look like a convenient alternative to an expensive hotel room. The most common complaint I've heard is that some of the hotels don't have a lot of soundproofing and you can hear any sound, like snoring, from the other pods.

No, I don't want to anyone banging on the wall telling me I'm snoring. A tiny cabin is one thing but a hotel that looks more like a honeycomb is not my idea of a fun night out. Have you seen the sleepover bus video in California? Even worse! That's just curtains.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    No, I don't want to anyone banging on the wall telling me I'm snoring. A tiny cabin is one thing but a hotel that looks more like a honeycomb is not my idea of a fun night out. Have you seen the sleepover bus video in California? Even worse! That's just curtains.
    Ditto. I had to sleep in a camp dorm once as an adult, and I basically just stayed awake all night. There has to be a happy medium between overprice and more room than you need and the beehive model.

Thread Information