Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Slavery in the US

Convicted criminals are not high on the priority list for my limited quantity of allocable sympathy. I have no problem making them work for their keep or to make some sort of restitution to their victims.

I think slavery is much too broad a term for this. It's more a limited indentured servitude, and I'm OK with it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm pretty ok with convicts working to either pay restitution or to save up enough money that they at least have some hope of not recidivizing after they get out. What I'm not ok with is my taxes paying to house someone in a private prison and the prison then profiting off of super cheap labor in addition to my taxes.

Working around the prisons, yea that's kind of a gray area. I'm not ok with them working for for-profit corporations for less than the legal minimum wage. And really not for government entities that are just using them for cheap labor (in the exact same way as the corporations are really) for less than the legal minimum wage either.
    Trees don't grow on money

What is magical about "minimum wage"? Prevailing wage should apply, otherwise someone is still profiting off the surplus value of their labor, plus also driving down wages and job opportunities for non-prisoners.

Yppej
    Chinese prisoners subject to forced labor have several times left notes reporting on their conditions discovered by American consumers inside designer handbags. This is a global problem.

Thread Information