Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave popcorn popper?

Microwave popcorn popper?

DD wants one. None of them look great. The silicone one looks sort of good, but I don't like the idea of silicone. Anyone have a glass one? Do you have to use butter in the top? I've read that you can't use oil in the bottom.
    I think a pot on the stove works just as well.........
    Thanks.

I have used this https://www.walmart.com/ip/NordicWar...opper/17429916 one for years and both my kids love the one that I gave them. No oil needed just add 1/3 cup popping corn and touch the microwave 'popcorn' button and wait till it stops. You can add butter, flavourings afterwards in the bowl and serve. Simple, easy to use and clean.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    DD wants one. None of them look great. The silicone one looks sort of good, but I don't like the idea of silicone. Anyone have a glass one? Do you have to use butter in the top? I've read that you can't use oil in the bottom.
    I think a pot on the stove works just as well.........
    Thanks.

A paper bag?

I wouldn't worry too much about silicone--she's probably not eating enough popcorn for any theoretical downside to develop.

But I'm not much help--after much trial and error, I settled on the Poppery I, circa 1970-something--a hot air model.

These are cute. I did not know such things existed. my family is very anti-microwave, so I rarely have one around. I would probably enjoy one where you put the butter in and I like the linked Nordicware one where you can eat it out of the bowl.

Thanks Jane, but the bad reviews of it were a little too high in number.
    I have a whirlypop, which works really nice, but it's sort of a pain to clean first (since I have so little storage space, it's on an open shelf).
    So I've gone back to just using a pain.....which works great.
    I considered telling her about a paper bag, until I read about them catching on fire.

Thanks Razz.Is there any concern about the plastic and high heating?

I'm getting hungry for popcorn.

I've killed two Whirlypops, a hand-cranked stovetop model, and at least one modern air-popper--all within a few uses. The Poppery is a workhorse, and has a convenient on/off switch.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Thanks Jane, but the bad reviews of it were a little too high in number.
    I have a whirlypop, which works really nice, but it's sort of a pain to clean first (since I have so little storage space, it's on an open shelf).
    So I've gone back to just using a pain.....which works great.
    I considered telling her about a paper bag, until I read about them catching on fire.

Thanks Razz.Is there any concern about the plastic and high heating?

I'm getting hungry for popcorn.
    None of which I am aware.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a West Bend "Air Crazy" hot air popper. It does the job. Plastic on top gets a bit hot after use, but not a problem for me. Also has an on/off switch.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have the one quart personal popcorn maker from http://catamountglass.com/ Uses no oil for the popping, although you can optionally add butter by putting a lump of butter on the concave silicone lid and it drips in as the corn pops. One less step.

Thread Information