Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo album —what to do with this?

Thank you for comments. This all happened before the age of digital photography so there are no backups,kind of a weird sitation now that I think about it.

Today I called my neighbor who said ahe would take this photo album. I assured her I didnt care what she did with it.

We had a neighborhood memorial service for this woman, no more is necessary. She had no children but she did have nieces, that is true,

In the back of my mind, I saved it for one of several reasons: to see if her husband, the murderer, would want it when he got out of the pen. He got out a few years ago and I am not now inclined to contact him or to contact mutual friends who could givie it to him.

with this gone, that is the end of 98% of my collections of photos, letters, etc that had me paralyzed. I have 3 letters out of 40 that I hung onto, still paralyzed, but thatbis ok. and I have one autographed book that I need to dispose of carefully. Thats really what this is all about, appropriate disposition.

I am not a Sentimental person, and I certainly do not keep Hallmark cards or Christmas cards or anything like that, but the personal letters were very different. Several collections of photographs for I didn’t feel were really mine.

I have a sizable batch of letters that my father wrote during World War II. I have not read them. One of these winters I will read them, maybe scan any that I particularly like, and send them to to my brother. Neither of us have children so they will die with us. But I do want to see if there’s any reference to his brothers because those letters could go to grand children of the brothers. These letters are fine, they dont worry me or paralyze me, I have a plan for them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-17-18 at 6:20pm.

IL, is there a possibility that a local veterans organization might enjoy reviewing the letters that your father wrote, IF you are comfortable doing that. A lot of history is being recaptured by doing this with knowledgeable people who are familiar with the situation that each soldier faced.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, is there a possibility that a local veterans organization might enjoy reviewing the letters that your father wrote, IF you are comfortable doing that. A lot of history is being recaptured by doing this with knowledgeable people who are familiar with the situation that each soldier faced.
    I dont know, maybe. It depends on what is in these letters. I doubt that he talked much about life in the Navy.

Have you even opened a letter to see if you can read it. The ink fades over time.

My brother is actually my cousin blood-wise. His mother died in childbirth and his father (my father's brother) died when my brother was 5 from complications of gall bladder surgery. My grandfather dictated that he would live with us, without consulting my mother, who was in the hospital grieving over a stillbirth at the time. His relationship with my parents was rocky at best. He's a wonderful human being and things worked out, but I feel so bad about his childhood.

My other cousin was cleaning out some stuff her mother had kept and she found a letter from my brother's birth-mother , talking about how thrilled she was to be pregnant, and she talked the names she and her husband were considering and it really shows so much of her personality. It was a real find, and my brother was so happy to have gotten it.

Save the letters, IL. Scan them and share them with people who will enjoy them. It keeps your dad alive in a way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information