Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ten spices?

I mainly use 5 spices.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    UL: I do remember a recent photo you showed of your counter and I noticed you had quite the line up of spices. I kind of figured you for a salt/pepper and maybe one all-purpose blend sort a guy. Your counter top collection did not seem very minimalist.
    I use them, well, darn near all of them. And the two I don't use I plan to use soon. Since I make a lot of lentils and beans I use many spices and herbs. Like, if you make Mexican black beans you use a bunch of spices and if you make Indian lentils you will use a bunch of other spices (though cumin overlaps).

This is what I do and this is why I have lots of herbs and spices.

I have an expandable three step shelf that mine sit on but here are some good ideas.
    https://foodal.com/kitchen/general-k...t-spice-racks/
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I have an expandable three step shelf that mine sit on but here are some good ideas.
    https://foodal.com/kitchen/general-k...t-spice-racks/
    Cool designs! I'd like to see a pic of yours in action.

But yeah, if you like lentils and beans you probably have a lot of spices.

Teacher Terry, what are your five main favorites?

If we are talking about food flavorings,I would include the following items that I use at least once a week:

Chicken stock flavor out of a jar

Fish sauce

Sambal Oelek

Garlic

Onions

I almost excluded onions because I use onions so heavily that I consider them a vegetable, but certainly there are many times where I cut them into tiny pieces or tiny slivers and use them as they are intended to be, flavoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I use them, well, darn near all of them. And the two I don't use I plan to use soon. Since I make a lot of lentils and beans I use many spices and herbs. Like, if you make Mexican black beans you use a bunch of spices and if you make Indian lentils you will use a bunch of other spices (though cumin overlaps).

This is what I do and this is why I have lots of herbs and spices.
    cumin DOES overlap! I have a whole tray of spices are use for Indian cooking and I always forget though which one is both Mexican and Indian honestly I was thinking it was coriander.

I hardly ever cook Indian dishes but I aspire to it hence my tray of Indian spices. I made my own my garam masala recently for a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    cumin DOES overlap! I have a whole tray of spices are use for Indian cooking and I always forget though which one is both Mexican and Indian honestly I was thinking it was coriander.

I hardly ever cook Indian dishes but I aspire to it hence my tray of Indian spices. I made my own my garam masala recently for a recipe.
    Indian cooking pairs well with your Instant Pot. Look for cookbooks by Urvashi Pitre (well-recommended) and others.

ETA: I have no shame--I use Japanese curry blocks, jarred sauces, and those little cans of Thai curry sauce. I had mussamun curry yesterday, with coconut milk, onions, carrots, and peppers, cooked--of course--in my IP.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Indian cooking pairs well with your Instant Pot. Look for cookbooks by Urvashi Pitre (well-recommended) and others.

ETA: I have no shame--I use Japanese curry blocks, jarred sauces, and those little cans of Thai curry sauce. I had mussamun curry yesterday, with coconut milk, onions, carrots, and peppers, cooked--of course--in my IP.
    oh yes, the The green Thai curry paste in a jar is important in my life.

One thing I absolutely love is the dipping sauce at Vietnamese restaurants, you know that sauce made with lime juice and sugar and fish sauce and chili paste. I made a batch last year and it never quite tasted as good as the one in the restaurant. I keep thinking I need to Spend the day making a giant batch of the stuff and freezing it in ice cube trays.