Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny kitchen strategies

Tiny kitchen strategies

Hey, I have a tiny -- and I mean tiny -- kitchen. Any ideas for using the space, cutting down on kitchenware or utensils or what-have-you?

I have no usable lower level cupboards. And a couple of my upper level cupboards are not regularly accessible as they are blocked by my fridge. If I were a foot taller they would be partially accessible.

Disclaimer: I don't aim to be negative on this thread. So if I shoot-down suggestions it might be because I already tried it or because there is so little room that things like "Buy an external spice rack" just won't work.

well, it's kind of an exterior spice rack, but they sell these magnetic spice jars that stick to the fridge that I think are cool:

https://www.amazon.com/12-Tins-Talen...ice+rack&psc=1

You really need to examine what you keep in the kitchen and what can go elsewhere. My rule is that if I don't use it most days of the week, it's out of my sight. We use the coffeemaker every day, so it gets counter space. The food processor? We use it enough use to keep it around but not on the counter. Be ruthless about gadgets and being too specialized. You need a chef's knife, a paring knife (or two), and a serrated knife (for bread, meat, frozen foods); any more than that (beyond table utensils) is extra. Do you have wall space you could use to put up a magnetic knife rack or small shelves on which you could put lighter items? Do you have refrigerator space? Even stuff that doesn’t have to be refrigerated, like condiments, pasta, and canned goods, can go in the fridge if you have room there but not in cabinets. And I've been known to deputize another part of the house as my pantry for lesser-used pots and pans, serving dishes, and extra containers of food (or foods I use less often).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    You really need to examine what you keep in the kitchen and what can go elsewhere. My rule is that if I don't use it most days of the week, it's out of my sight. We use the coffeemaker every day, so it gets counter space. The food processor? We use it enough use to keep it around but not on the counter. Be ruthless about gadgets and being too specialized. You need a chef's knife, a paring knife (or two), and a serrated knife (for bread, meat, frozen foods); any more than that (beyond table utensils) is extra. Do you have wall space you could use to put up a magnetic knife rack or small shelves on which you could put lighter items? Do you have refrigerator space? Even stuff that doesn’t have to be refrigerated, like condiments, pasta, and canned goods, can go in the fridge if you have room there but not in cabinets. And I've been known to deputize another part of the house as my pantry for lesser-used pots and pans, serving dishes, and extra containers of food (or foods I use less often).
    Good thoughts here!

Do you have a magnetic knife rack?

What about one of these step stools?

https://www.amazon.com/Jeronic-11-In...ing+step+stool

Follow Steve's suggestions, and be ruthless about simplifying. Learn to substitute skill for gadgets.

The only gadgets I have are two crock pots. I am tossing one of them, the big one. I will be keeping the little one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    well, it's kind of an exterior spice rack, but they sell these magnetic spice jars that stick to the fridge that I think are cool:

https://www.amazon.com/12-Tins-Talen...ice+rack&psc=1
    I have exactly those in my tiny kitchen! And they're great.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think I've posted this Mark Bittman article before but I think it's relevant for this thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09mini.html

When we moved up here we decided to use a "minimalist" approach. So we brought up:

1 9 inch cast iron skillet
    1 6 inch cast iron skillet
    1 1.5 qt. saucepan
    1 small saucepan
    1 self-draining Dutch oven
    1 baking dish that doubles as a baking tray

1 French knife
    1 paring knife
    1 peeler (I know I can use a knife, but a peeler is so much easier
    1 sharpening stone
    1 can opener
    1 set of bamboo cooking utensils
    1 large whisk
    1 small whisk
    1 spatula

I found a great set of 8 nesting bowls at Goodwill.
    I bought some canisters at Home Goods, and in those, and in smaller clear glass jars I store coffee, tea, sugar, quinoa, barley, rice, loose tea, pine nuts or almonds, and beans. If you put that stuff in jars and canisters you eliminate ugly boxes.

I fit all my other pantry items on one small bookshelf, 3 shelves 15" wide, and 3 wall shelves. I keep bread stuff in a breadbox.

My French press and electric kettle are on the counter.

That about does it.

Picture of my kitchen, rotated... I don't know why that happens!
    IMG_4224.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information