Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny kitchen strategies

A big cutting board that can go over your sink will help with a lack of counter space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A big cutting board that can go over your sink will help with a lack of counter space.
    I love mine, anything that goes over the sink is awesome. Mine has a space for collecting food scraps too. I like all the magnetic ideas. I also store canned goods and little used items out of the kitchen. I have everything to cook for a family and serve meals up to 20 people. It is worth it to me to have those things boxed up and put aside. I figure I need about 2 full meals of dishes and my most common cookware. In my roommate situation we have no microwave or dishwasher, and I don't miss that at all.

I would only add that I have mason jars of various sizes and I get food in bulk from sprouts. I fill the grain one with quinoa, when I use it up then I fill with brown rice, next is a couscous kick. Or I put these in outside of the kitchen storage.

Pic's of the kitchen would help, so would knowing restrictions, since you rent.
    Skill, is more important then gadgets, as mentioned, and in the days prior to my life, the kitchen table was also a prep surface, not just the eating point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    We have a cutting board over 2 of the 4 burners on our stove top. On the rare occasion that we need to use more than 2 burners at once, we move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Good thoughts here!

Do you have a magnetic knife rack?
    Thanks! Our knife rack is not magnetic, but it can be mounted underneath a cabinet...
    knifeblock.jpg
    ... and you don't need to fill every slot.

Some of the other ideas here are great, like the cutting board over the sink; I know they also sell strainers/colanders that fit over a sink, too (you only need one strainer if it's designed well). Nesting objects, like bowls, are good. Storage/leftover dishes which use common lids and/or nest themselves are winners.

And substitution can help, too.

For example, unless I know I'm using a specific (or large) amount for a recipe, I don't buy ground spices. I have a small mortar and pestle to grind whole spices when I need them. Some people use a dedicated cheap "whirly-grinder" typically used for coffee beans (I find them hard to clean thoroughly). Whole spices keep much better and the fresh-ground spices carry more punch than the stuff you buy at the store.

The bottom of my pressure cooker also is my 6-quart-sized pot; I don't need a separate large pot. I fashion a cover out of aluminum foil when I need one. I don't own a tea kettle; I'll boil water on the stove if DW or a guest wants tea.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

What needs to be done to make the lower cabinets usable?

I once had a kitchen in a small studio apartment with three upper cabinets, no lower cabinets and no real counterspace, just the drainboard of the old sink. I put a couple of wooden crates under the sink to hold pots and pans. Stored extra food, like bulk rice and canned goods, under the bed. Still managed to invite up to six people at a time over for dinner.

Have as few single-use appliances as possible, i.e. a toaster oven instead of a toaster. Or no toaster oven at all, if you never eat toast.

Cull the kitchen gadgets. If you never use something, get rid of it. If you only use something once or twice a year, evaluate if you can either use it more often or get rid of it.

Store extras elsewhere. Food, plates, cutlery, keep just what you need in the kitchen space and store the rest elsewhere.

We could offer more concrete suggestions if we knew what the specific issues with your kitchen are--what you need to store, etc.

I only have sheets that fit on the beds we have no shelves of extra sheets in the linen closet. Instead...it's my pantry and kitchen gadget storage because my kitchen is tiny as well.
    Do you have a dishwasher that you don't use? I currently store potatoes and onions in there because it's broken.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have a very small kitchen, and I cook a lot.
    I often use a cutting board at the dining table or on top of the stove, and will dry dishes on towels on the table when we have a lot going on in the kitchen.
    I keep larger baking pans in the oven, so when I'm baking, they go on the dining table.
    My pantry and less-used kitchen items are in the basement.
    My kitchen cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling, so I have canisters, baskets, and an old bread box on top of the cabinets to store items.
    A huge space-saver is the pot rack installed on one wall. It is similar to the "wall bar pot rack" shown at this link. It is sturdy enough, and the hooks shaped well enough, so that a hook can hold 2 pots or pans.
    One of my lower cabinets is very narrow, and we installed off-the-shelf stainless steel in-cabinet drawers to make it more usable. I think the cost was about $15 x2, well worth it for the reduced frustration.

When I get frustrated with my kitchen, I sometimes think of a distant older cousin's kitchen in Germany. She and her husband lived in an old family farmhouse next to the church in a very small town... which means that their house was hundreds of years old, as that is the center of town. The kitchen was updated sufficiently to have running water, but there were no cabinets, and it was a cold, dark room even in the middle of summer. Where a modern kitchen has cabinets and a counter, they had various sturdy old tables around the perimeter of the room. I figure that if that part of the family could feed several hundred years' worth of my cousins from that kitchen, I'm really in the lap of luxury.

I used a wire shelving unit over the inside door of my hall closet as a pantry; it holds an amazing amt. Yes, pictures pls, so we can give specific advice. If you have space over your sink to hang a rail, you can suspend items from it (I think Ikea has a system called "grundtal") Pot rack is a great idea, as is narrow folding stepstool that's light and easy to use to access taller cabinets. There are nesting products made for RVs made to fit in small spaces. To maximize space inside cabinets, wire shelf racks can double your space. A row of cup hooks uses the top of each cabinet.

Thread Information