Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental Health and Spiritual Voids

Mental Health and Spiritual Voids

I find this to be a pretty provocative piece about how our culture has pretty much voided the potential for filling the holes in our souls. I also like the reference to Joseph Campbell (The Hero With A Thousand Faces).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/o...gtype=Homepage

I think the culture has missed the boat on recognizing and addressing our spiritual needs, and I don't mean that from a religious POV. We can talk about gun control, and DSM codes, but with all the war on drugs and mental health resources, we don't seem to be fixing the problem.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I guess I reached my limit on free articles, so won't let me past firewall. It seems to be by David Brooks, that's all I got?

Bummer. Yes--by David Brooks. Here are some excerpts

Wherever Americans gather and try to help each other on any deep level, they confront levels of trauma that their training has often not prepared them for.

Our society has tried to medicalize trauma. We call it PTSD and regard it as an individual illness that can be treated with medications. But it’s increasingly clear that trauma is a moral and spiritual issue as much as a psychological or chemical one. Wherever there is trauma, there has been betrayal, an abuse of authority, a moral injury.

Medication can rebalance chemicals in the brain, but it can’t heal the inner self. People who have suffered a trauma — whether it’s a sexual assault at work or repeated beatings at home — find that their identity formation has been interrupted and fragmented. Time doesn’t flow from one day to the next but circles backward to the bad event.

Tick points out that most ancient cultures put returning soldiers through purification rituals. The men came back from battle and the terrible things they had done there, and they were given a chance to cleanse, purify and rejoin the community. The community would take possession of the guilt the soldiers may have felt for the things they had to do on its behalf.

The Tohono O’odham, a Native American people from the Sonoran Desert, once practiced a 16-day purification ceremony.

These ceremonies had, Tick writes, what most rites of passage have: a sacred space, training by the elders, ordeals that prepare and test the initiate, rituals that symbolize the transformation taking place. After the cleansing, the blood-soaked soldier was now known as a warrior, a positive leader in the community.

I wish our culture had many more rites of passage, communal moments when we celebrated a moral transition. There could be a communitywide rite of passage for people coming out of prison, for forgiveness of a personal wrong, for people who felt they had come out the other side of trauma and abuse. There’d be a marriage ceremony of sorts to mark the moment when a young person found the vocation he or she would dedicate life to.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I really like that, I meditate with people who are in recovery from addiction and see how the community is essential to them. Having a place where they can reclaim a spirituality is so valuable, and it is just as valuable to me to be part of it. I have been diagnosed with a brain based illness and some PTSD, I don't like the more isolating parts of that. Putting me in a box on the outside of the 'healthier' people. I feel that the super sensitive people are part of processing this for others (secondary trauma of first responders, teachers, etc) but instead of treating them separately it would be interesting to treat this communally, hmm.

There is a lot of merit in the idea of treating these conditions with purification rituals.

There is real merit in what he says. One of the problems with our present wars is that so many soldiers are coming back with head injuries because of all the explosions. People really don’t understand invisible disabilities and they are not getting the help they need on any level.

Very true, but I wish Brooks would talk about sexual assault and PTSD, instead of more about warriors needing rituals to get over their trauma.
    Here is an interesting quotation from the ncbi (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323517/):
    POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER

The US National Comorbidity Survey Report estimates the lifetime prevalence of PTSD among North Americans to be 7.8% (9). The lifetime prevalence of PTSD for women who have been sexually assaulted is 50% (10). Moreover, sexual assault is the most frequent cause of PTSD in women, with one study reporting that 94% of women experienced PTSD symptoms during the first two weeks after an assault (

This really occurred to me reading the excerpt. Where is the ritual for those of us who have been assaulted? The Kavanaugh hearings were immensely triggering for many victims. Where is the purification ritual for the Kavanaugh hearings?

I am not trying to make this political. I do want to point out that women are ignored so often in this kind of stentorian "Bowling Alone" kind of commentary. . . as though men's experience is the one that matters. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Very true, but I wish Brooks would talk about sexual assault and PTSD, instead of more about warriors needing rituals to get over their trauma.
    Here is an interesting quotation from the ncbi (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323517/):
    POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER

[FONT="]The US National Comorbidity Survey Report estimates the lifetime prevalence of PTSD among North Americans to be 7.8% (9). The lifetime prevalence of PTSD for women who have been sexually assaulted is 50% (10). Moreover, sexual assault is the most frequent cause of PTSD in women, with one study reporting that 94% of women experienced PTSD symptoms during the first two weeks after an assault (

This really occurred to me reading the excerpt. Where is the ritual for those of us who have been assaulted? The Kavanaugh hearings were immensely triggering for many victims. Where is the purification ritual for the Kavanaugh hearings?

I am not trying to make this political. I do want to point out that women are ignored so often in this kind of stentorian "Bowling Alone" kind of commentary. . . as though men's experience is the one that matters. . . [/FONT]
    You're absolutely right.. He paid lip service to assault in women in a part of the article I didn't excerpt, but yes, by and large, it's focused on male trauma, "Iron John" types of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There is a lot of merit in the idea of treating these conditions with purification rituals.
    My department has a very active program of engaging in essentially this after every event that is...unpleasant. It really helps.

It seems so logical. I see the lack of support for assault survivors and hope with the me too movement that will change. We send enlistees off to weeks of training but when they come back ship them home with nothing...why not 6 weeks of "purification"- and the same kinds of places for assault victims. But the cost.....actually the choices made on how to use money-clearly support is not valued.

Thread Information