Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vagina Monologues are not correct-think now

The Vagina Monologues are not correct-think now

College students are always entertaining. The group at East Michigan University has decided to cut performances of The Vagina Monologues because this body of work is not respectful to women without vaginas.

This is hilarious:

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...gina_mono.html

Apparently this work was an annual event at this University, so it is not as though they have shut down a current performance. But still. Funny stuff that cannot be made up.

In my poking around the internet on this issue, I found one sage who opined that pussy hats show transphobic oppression. If that hat is a symbol of sexual assult of women, logic follows that it is hurtful to imply women without vaginas cannot be victims of sexual assult. It is dismissive of their experiences.

Hmmm. My brain is pondering. I understand there is open warfare these days between different waves or sects of the feminist movement. In particular, the TERFs are a flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    In particular, the TERFs are a flashpoint.
    To be fair, my neighbor and I have had some pretty heated discussions on fescue versus bluegrass.

Look, I suspect the cuttoff of this play has more to do with the fact that it is outdated than any other. If it is an annual event as indicated on the college’s home page, then it time to retire that annuall performance.

But why dont they say so instead of turning it into some sort of virtuous act? Oh wait, I know why...

bae, I dont know what TERF is and will have to go look that up, but there have always been several factions within feminist thought. Ut you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    bae, I dont know what TERF is and will have to go look that up, but there have always been several factions within feminist thought. Ut you know that.
    Yes, I have quite a research library on the matter here, but it is a constant effort to keep up with current events. :-)

EMU - my alma mater!

Yppej
    And here I thought trans women had vaginoplasties.

It appears that you can have transgenderism or feminism, but you can't have both.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    You can have both. I recently read Patrisse Khan-Cullors's autobiography and she repeatedly makes the point that Black Lives Matter was established as an organization for all women including trans women.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    And here I thought trans women had vaginoplasties.
    Not all. Not even most. The data I was presented at a class just last week claimed that last year's stats were, roughly, for trans women: 92% "top surgery" (breast/chest work), 7% facial, and < 1% "bottom surgery".

My understanding is that it is considered wrong to judge someone's transition by the exact number and type of surgeries they have had.

Thread Information