Thread: Don’t eat Romaine lettuce… Again.

Don’t eat Romaine lettuce… Again.

This isn’t about the last one we had a couple months ago ..this is a new one. The CDC is saying no one in the country should eat any Romaine lettuce until they figure out where it’s coming from. Apparently it’s given a number of people E. coli infections. I bought a three pack two days ago which I am returning for a refund. Just be careful. It might be in mixed green salad packages also.

I bought a 3 pack several days ago and used 2 on chicken Caesar salads that evening. Since we didn't get sick, you'd think the 3rd would be fine, but I threw it out this morning just in case.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I never grocery shop at WM but it was the closest option at the last minute so I bought a package of organic hearts of romaine and paid $3.50. I only eat romaine and arugula (never had any issues) and that was all they had that was organic. When I got home a few minutes later, I saw the alert. If we weren't serving company, I would have eaten it. DH took it back today and got a refund. Oddly, they still had romaine on display today Guess I'll make Mexican slaw instead of salad to go with the posole tonight.

I do not get too excited about these recalls since they are usually due to an "abundance of caution" and not a lot of real data. There has been a small group of illness that the CDC cannot identify a source (it was not the Yuma, AZ area from last time). My husband and I are not in a high risk group. If I had any, I would eat it. Can not buy it anymore so it is not a decision.

Can you really bring it back to the store for a refund?
    Why is it always romaine? Why can't it be iceberg for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Why is it always romaine? Why can't it be iceberg for a change?
    I agree. Although SO loves iceberg...

But seriously, if I had to guess I would guess it's due to one of two things. Either all the romaine is grown, like Yuma, next to a feedlot and at high risk of contamination from cow poop, or two, because romaine is open leafs, as opposed to the closed head of iceberg, and is therefore more likely to get stuff on the inner leaves, whereas with iceberg most people throw away the outer leaf.

Thread Information