Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplified spaces?

Also, you and my Dd may need to get together and trade social tips. She is living in Columbus and would like to meet some non-religious non partying guys in their early to mid twenties. She went line dancing and apparently chose YOUR venue because “it was all middle-aged black women. They were nice to me, but not helping.” (Apparently nobody offered to introduce her to their son)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Also, you and my Dd may need to get together and trade social tips. She is living in Columbus and would like to meet some non-religious non partying guys in their early to mid twenties. She went line dancing and apparently chose YOUR venue because “it was all middle-aged black women. They were nice to me, but not helping.” (Apparently nobody offered to introduce her to their son)
    I would suggest:

https://www.meetup.com/HumanistOhio/...QgS48pK9K5eJxG

And...

https://www.meetup.com/Central-Ohio-...Theists-COUNT/

For decor, and this isnt your area of interest so you probably wont do it but I want to plant a seed in your head:
    Think about fresh plant material, what you can get for free from around your neighborhood, and how you can use it in your space.

The great thing about fresh stuff is that you can compost it when its useful life is over.

My Christmas decor changes every year because I get bored doing the same thing year after year. Yesterday I set out to buy a small Christmas tree, but after going to three places and finding nothing. I came home, raided my basement, raided my neighborhood, and came up with this:

993F8FC3-D124-4E73-8C0C-49EA095D1A56.jpg

Only the lights cost something years ago. That big wreath made of twigs cost someone something along time ago but it didn’t cost me a dime because DH pull that out of the dumpster for me. I have been storing it in the basement for a while but this year I want to use it. I think it will become a permanent item above my fireplace mantle with seasonal trims.

On the mantle piece are all kinds of greens I trimmed from our community garden yesterday: Bluespruce, Magnolia, lavender. The smell is heavenly.

I think Chicken Lady’s idea about fruit in a bowl is it is a good one. I completely understand if this crafting-with-plants has no Interest to you at all, but if you think of it as an artistic endeavor to develop, It might give you another hobby.

But I also understand that if you like the completely spare look of your space that is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "If you are really good and play your cards right I will commit to you AND buy a real bed. So mind your Ps and Qs." hahaha
    Wow, with lines like this I would expect you to have hordes of women lined up to move in with you!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wow, with lines like this I would expect you to have hordes of women lined up to move in with you!
    That was a joke! haha

I do tell women I sleep on a futon, but if I partnered up I would buy a big, real bed. I am forthright and honest in my dealings with women.

If you had actually done your due diligence and read the entire thread you would know that I was joking when I said "Got it covered." I also said previously in this thread that if I got a life partner I would buy a big, real bed. I have even told women I have dated this. Like, "If you are really good and play your cards right I will commit to you AND buy a real bed. So mind your Ps and Qs." hahaha

I am straight edge and teetotal as they get. So no junkies allowed!
    That was a joke! haha

I do tell women I sleep on a futon, but if I partnered up I would buy a big, real bed. I am forthright and honest in my dealings with women.

No way to tell your joking here. There are several valid points here, and viewpoints I would agree with (get the bed first, stop looking like your just to the left of homeless in the bedroom).
    I read the thread, your as clear as mud and it comes across as better then tho attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    For decor, and this isnt your area of interest so you probably wont do it but I want to plant a seed in your head:
    Think about fresh plant material, what you can get for free from around your neighborhood, and how you can use it in your space.

The great thing about fresh stuff is that you can compost it when its useful life is over.

My Christmas decor changes every year because I get bored doing the same thing year after year. Yesterday I set out to buy a small Christmas tree, but after going to three places and finding nothing. I came home, raided my basement, raided my neighborhood, and came up with this:

993F8FC3-D124-4E73-8C0C-49EA095D1A56.jpg

Only the lights cost something years ago. That big wreath made of twigs cost someone something along time ago but it didn’t cost me a dime because DH pull that out of the dumpster for me. I have been storing it in the basement for a while but this year I want to use it. I think it will become a permanent item above my fireplace mantle with seasonal trims.

On the mantle piece are all kinds of greens I trimmed from our community garden yesterday: Bluespruce, Magnolia, lavender. The smell is heavenly.

I think Chicken Lady’s idea about fruit in a bowl is it is a good one. I completely understand if this crafting-with-plants has no Interest to you at all, but if you think of it as an artistic endeavor to develop, It might give you another hobby.

But I also understand that if you like the completely spare look of your space that is fine too.
    Beautiful, IL!! Off topic, but I love that color green on the walls--do you remember what it is?

I personally don't see UL decorating with greenery, although I think it's a great idea. There's no function for it other than aesthetics, which doesn't seem to be a need in this case. Also, if it's a live, potted plant, you have to care for it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Beautiful, IL!! Off topic, but I love that color green on the walls--do you remember what it is?

I personally don't see UL decorating with greenery, although I think it's a great idea. There's no function for it other than aesthetics, which doesn't seem to be a need in this case. Also, if it's a live, potted plant, you have to care for it.
    sorry, I dont know the name if this paint color.

agreed that UL wouldnt become Martha Stewepart, it was pretty sill py on my part to suggest this.It is just so foreign to me to live without plant materials all around, and believe me, I dont do houseplants! dH has all of our indoor plants as his responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    sorry, I dont know the name if this paint color.

agreed that UL wouldnt become Martha Stewepart, it was pretty sill py on my part to suggest this.It is just so foreign to me to live without plant materials all around, and believe me, I dont do houseplants! dH has all of our indoor plants as his responsibility.
    There are lots of plants outside. I just go outside to enjoy the greenery. Though this time of year it is all grey, black, and brown.

Your dog is cute.

Your apartment says "keep away."

There is no place for a visitor, apparently, except a hard dining chair, if the couch can't be sat on by the humans. And I agree, your bed does not say, "I want company in this bed,' but rather, "I prefer to sleep alone."

Just looking at the pictures, the place looks all hard edges, somber and bleak. That may or may not be a reflection of your personality, but that's the signal it is sending out.

Okay, so I was in a long-term relationship with a guy who was very minimalist. He had an airy studio apartment which had been the living room of an old Boston townhouse. So there were some huge floor to ceiling windows, with curtains, that let in lots of light. There was a fireplace and crown molding, which gave the place some character. He slept on a futon on the floor, which he folded up to make a sitting area during the day. He had a table and two chairs that his mother gave him, because she was worried about him. He used the empty floor space for his daily workouts.

But there was a row of books on the mantle of the fireplace. A few plants which he carefully tended, some cascading over the windows. The curtains were colorful. He was a writer as a side job, so he had copies of things he'd written that he loved to show off. There were family photos on one wall. Some sports equipment neatly stacked in one out of the way corner. A special bowl for his daily ice cream that his niece had made him. He might have had less stuff that you do--his kitchen was a quarter the size of yours--but his home was warm and welcoming.

When you entered his apartment, you got a sense of his personality, who he was, what was important to him. The only thing I get from looking at your pictures is that you care for your dog, and your kitchen counters are really full of stuff, so maybe you like to cook. That's it.

That may be what you want. But is it getting you the other things in life that you want?

Thread Information