Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplified spaces?

That video - a lot of space but few things - at first I’m thinking he needs to move to smaller place. Then I saw how he uses the space and it seems just right. Not all space needs to be filled with stuff. It can be used for people. Nice concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    That video - a lot of space but few things - at first I’m thinking he needs to move to smaller place. Then I saw how he uses the space and it seems just right. Not all space needs to be filled with stuff. It can be used for people. Nice concept.
    I totally agree! My apartment could be 1/3 smaller with no issues. Maybe even half the size. But I like space enough to move around in. If I lived in a warm climate though, I could live very tiny and just go outside most of the time.

This is my minimalist dream—rooms with fabulous architectural features. Little to no furniture needed.

A84EC4AE-0659-4D9B-817B-37D2DAF57110.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is my minimalist dream—rooms with fabulous architectural features. Little to no furniture needed.

A84EC4AE-0659-4D9B-817B-37D2DAF57110.jpg
    That is minimalist!

Do you have Ikea? I love their beds, I have one, my son has one and I just bought one for my daughter. We tend to move a lot and they are easy to take apart and put back together often. Otherwise bed frames are on next door and craigslist all the time, if they are not fabric in any way I would not worry about getting one used.

If you want to add a few cozy items it could be a minimalist game. Give yourself a list to stick to (one coffee or side table, one afgan, etc) and then see how creatively you can find the item. If it gets to be taking up a lot of time then you can stop because you were fine before you had all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Do you have Ikea? I love their beds, I have one, my son has one and I just bought one for my daughter. We tend to move a lot and they are easy to take apart and put back together often. Otherwise bed frames are on next door and craigslist all the time, if they are not fabric in any way I would not worry about getting one used.

If you want to add a few cozy items it could be a minimalist game. Give yourself a list to stick to (one coffee or side table, one afgan, etc) and then see how creatively you can find the item. If it gets to be taking up a lot of time then you can stop because you were fine before you had all that stuff.
    I got Harlan's couch at Ike's!
    But I really got it for the woman I was seeing at the time. She wanted me to have a couch. I did not need it, so when we split I just gave it to Harlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would rather fund my emergency fund now than buy a big status symbol bed.
    I definitely agree the emergency fund should come first. But the bed doesn't have to be any kind of big status symbol. Just a frame and a mattress big enough for however many living things you want on it (we never allowed our dog to sleep with us but I know other people do); maybe a nightstand (because the floor is a long reach away from current-day mattresses). Go trompe l'oeil with the headboard (someone with your drawing skills would do a great job!) and that's one fewer possession to care for or move.

t-l_headboard.jpg
    (image courtesy of Apartment Therapy)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh I have painted on the walk before, I really like it. I did it in California because I didn't want a heavy thing hanging over my couch. The headboard looks fun.

The most important thing is to have fun and be comfortable in your space.

Another thing that goes a long way towards hominess are window treatments. Even something as simple as a valance along the top to hide the blinds would go a long way towards cheering the space. And something, anything, somewhere on the wall to give guests something to look at while they sit on harlan's couch.

I need pictures, curtains, etc to make my home feel inviting. My house is very important to me as I spend a lot of time there. If a house is too stark I don’t feel comfortable. Same as being too messy.

Thread Information