Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplified spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I need pictures, curtains, etc to make my home feel inviting. My house is very important to me as I spend a lot of time there. If a house is too stark I don’t feel comfortable. Same as being too messy.
    On the other hand, I would sign up for this (Poggenpohl) kitchen in a New York minute. I find the simple clean lines and monochromatic scheme very soothing:
    Poggenpohl-Kitchen.jpg
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Well, I love your place!

It looks super easy to maintain, and I like that you have a big dedicated space for exercise.
    It reflects your priorities.

If it were mine, I would probably have something to keep the bed off the floor (its warmer and helps keep bedding clean) and probably curtains to keep out drafts. I get cold easily, though.

I'm trying to downsize my wardrobe - yours is inspiring! I could fill that closet with just my t-shirts.

Thanks for posting

A bed doesn't have to be a fancy status-symbol bed.

Until just this year, I used a simple bed frame with a mattress on it, no headboard/footboard, just something to elevate the mattress off the floor. Before that, I slept on a futon on the floor, but when my wife got further along in her pregnancy, she decided elevating the sleeping surface to keep our Basset Hounds from pushing us off the bed was essential.

A mattress just thrown on the floor in an empty room however looks like a drug den,and may limit entertainment options :-)

(The reason my "mansion" has microclimates is that it has basically no useful heating system other than the wood stove, and not the best design for air circulation, so you get a choice of too cold, too warm, or just right, and no real way to alter the situation other than blankets.)

Our bed is just a basic metal frame with no headboard or foot board, although we do have a good quality mattress and box spring on top of it.

A mattress on the floor may develop mold over time. Be sure to pick it up and air out the floor and bottom of the mattress quite often.

https://www.nestbedding.com/blogs/ne...s-on-the-floor

Myself, I do sleep on the floor on a traditional Japanese shikifuton. Aired out several times a week and folded daily; when unfolded it is on interlocking foam mats. And no, I don't have any plans of entertaining anyone. My bed is mine and mine alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Got it covered!

Attachment 2592
    ROTFLMAO.
    You have a life partner now, and you don't share a bed with them. (Harlan) I find it shocking you expect another one to share that twin bed with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    A bed doesn't have to be a fancy status-symbol bed.

A mattress just thrown on the floor in an empty room however looks like a drug den,and may limit entertainment options :-)
    Well, a homeless drug addict, might be what he is looking for, as they don't have a lot of possessions they care about, other then the substance/delivery system. That bed might look inviting.

The dry cleaner will take the hangers back. If you insist on dry cleaning, just thing of the hangers like library books - they belong to the dry cleaner and you return them when you get more.

Chiming in on the “ambience” your apartment says a lot of things. “minimalist” is not the first thing because it doesn’t look curated. It looks:
    “broke”
    ”might have to disappear on a moment’s notice”
    ”my wife threw me out”
    ”my wife won’t let me have a dog”
    “just got out of prison”

Besides the bed,
    “Decorating for company”:
    do you buy fruit? Do you own a bowl? Put the fruit in the bowl on the table or on the kitchen counter and get the spices put away out of the light. Return the hangers. Straighten up your clothes. buy a blanket and turn the heat in your apartment down a couple of degrees - cheaper. Pull Harlan’s couch out from the wall, maybe at an angle. Put the lamp next to harlan’s couch as if someone might read there. Move the table out into the room a little and put the chairs around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Well, I love your place!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I'm trying to downsize my wardrobe - yours is inspiring! I could fill that closet with just my t-shirts.
    I can only speak for myself on this, but downsizing my clothing has been perhaps the most freeing part of living simply for me. Not that I had a lot, but I had enough for it to require quite a bit of annoying little decisions that chipped away and my mind.

A colleague of mine at work has been semi-jokingly suggesting we have uniforms at work. That would really simplify! haha

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    ROTFLMAO.
    You have a life partner now, and you don't share a bed with them. (Harlan) I find it shocking you expect another one to share that twin bed with you.
    If you had actually done your due diligence and read the entire thread you would know that I was joking when I said "Got it covered." I also said previously in this thread that if I got a life partner I would buy a big, real bed. I have even told women I have dated this. Like, "If you are really good and play your cards right I will commit to you AND buy a real bed. So mind your Ps and Qs." hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Well, a homeless drug addict, might be what he is looking for, as they don't have a lot of possessions they care about, other then the substance/delivery system. That bed might look inviting.
    I am straight edge and teetotal as they get. So no junkies allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    The dry cleaner will take the hangers back. If you insist on dry cleaning, just thing of the hangers like library books - they belong to the dry cleaner and you return them when you get more.
    Good idea! I bet they would take them back. But I am actually donated the shirts that needed dry cleaning. I have shirts that are wrinkle-free now, mostly polos.

Chiming in on the “ambience” your apartment says a lot of things. “minimalist” is not the first thing because it doesn’t look curated. It looks:
    “broke”
    ”might have to disappear on a moment’s notice”
    ”my wife threw me out”
    ”my wife won’t let me have a dog”
    “just got out of prison”
    I LOLe so damn hard about this! My neighbors probably heard me!

Besides the bed,
    “Decorating for company”:
    do you buy fruit? Do you own a bowl? Put the fruit in the bowl on the table or on the kitchen counter and get the spices put away out of the light. Return the hangers. Straighten up your clothes. buy a blanket and turn the heat in your apartment down a couple of degrees - cheaper. Pull Harlan’s couch out from the wall, maybe at an angle. Put the lamp next to harlan’s couch as if someone might read there. Move the table out into the room a little and put the chairs around it.
    You are hired as my interior decorator!

Thread Information