Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplified spaces?

Your room reminds me of Peter Lawrence's place ("The Happy Minimalist")

I personally find your apartment to be a little stark, but I'm not sure if it's because there are so few pieces or because it's trying to be a drastically minimalist version of our culture's aesthetic. To bae's point, it may simply lack a little feng shui. Rooms that I absolutely find peaceful in their simplicity tend to be Japanese-style--with very calculated use of natural elements, light and architectural detail to bring balance and harmony to a minimalist room.

But, you have a right to be proud! You are living your values and truly walking your talk. I'm impressed!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Originally Posted by SteveinMN
    Is that the "closet" kitchen?
    That is indeed the very one I referred to.
    That, my friend, is substantially bigger than a closet. It's still worth considering how to use the space more efficiently, but if the refrigerator is in the same room as the kitchen, you've got some space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight
    If I got a life parter you better believe I would get a real, big bed.
    My personal experience tells me that the real, big bed precedes partners, "life" or otherwise.

If nothing else, buying a real, big bed will show you have some money and doesn't make it look like you're ready to pack up and leave in the middle of the night...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm glad your space works for you, but for me, it's missing a few key things: a place with a good lamp for reading or craft work, a place to view the outside world, some warm cozy blanket/afghan to snuggle under, a place to have a meal with someone else (you may have a table you just didn't show). The bed on the floor would be tough for me at my age- I sometimes use a rolling start to launch myself in the morning. I do love the lack of tscotchkeys or any clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

My personal experience tells me that the real, big bed precedes partners, "life" or otherwise.

If nothing else, buying a real, big bed will show you have some money and doesn't make it look like you're ready to pack up and leave in the middle of the night...
    I would rather fund my emergency fund now than buy a big status symbol bed. But your point is well-taken. Even if I can't afford multiple bedrooms with their own micro-climates like bae, I can put together a cozy-looking sin-bin in my bedroom. haha So perhaps a real, big bed should be on my list of near future expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Your room reminds me of Peter Lawrence's place ("The Happy Minimalist")

I personally find your apartment to be a little stark, but I'm not sure if it's because there are so few pieces or because it's trying to be a drastically minimalist version of our culture's aesthetic. To bae's point, it may simply lack a little feng shui. Rooms that I absolutely find peaceful in their simplicity tend to be Japanese-style--with very calculated use of natural elements, light and architectural detail to bring balance and harmony to a minimalist room.

But, you have a right to be proud! You are living your values and truly walking your talk. I'm impressed!
    I watched that video a loooooong time ago. I was inspired by it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would rather fund my emergency fund now than buy a big status symbol bed. But your point is well-taken. Even if I can't afford multiple bedrooms with their own micro-climates like bae, I can put together a cozy-looking sin-bin in my bedroom. haha So perhaps a real, big bed should be on my list of near future expenses.
    I'm kind of on your side, UL. Why should you modify a space that you find perfectly adequate to suit other people?

OTOH, even Thoreau said one should have 3 chairs: one for solitude, one for friendship, and one for society. In other words, unless you are a hermit, you might consider conceding some decorating/minimalist choices to the desire for your guests to feel comfortable. You could perhaps get a carefully chosen used full or queen mattress on freecycle. (I know many people will not use used mattresses, but I've been discerning about the ones I've gotten and it's all turned out OK).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Your kitchen is positively luxurious and well-appointed compared to my own.
    I agree that the bedroom and living room are too stark for my personal taste, but I'm sure mine would be too cluttered for your taste. I do have some single male friends whose apartments are in a constant state of cluttered squalor. I definitely prefer starkness to that.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm glad your space works for you, but for me, it's missing a few key things: a place with a good lamp for reading or craft work, a place to view the outside world, some warm cozy blanket/afghan to snuggle under, a place to have a meal with someone else (you may have a table you just didn't show). The bed on the floor would be tough for me at my age- I sometimes use a rolling start to launch myself in the morning. I do love the lack of tscotchkeys or any clutter.
    Table. At the moment I took the photo I was doing some internetting and was about to return my library books/DVDs.

IMG_2133.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

OTOH, even Thoreau said one should have 3 chairs: one for solitude, one for friendship, and one for society.
    Oh, Hank and his strange wisdom!

Well it looks like you have 4 chairs, so the party is at your house!

Thread Information