Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday mayhem!

Just got back from Kohl's. There were plenty of shoppers but it wasn't crazy, just a little bit busier than a normal weekend. I wanted to pick up a few things for the clothing drive for foster kids, especially socks and pajama pants, and it was easy to get in and out.

Also got something I'd been wanting for a while: a Photo/Video dashboard cam. It's from Smartgear, original price $50 and on sale for $25. It has 32GB of storage with continuous recording mode that records over the oldest videos when memory reaches full. So that was Lainey's present to Lainey!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've got a different take on Black Friday this year as opposed to most of my life. I'm actually doing halfway decently these days and since I have not raised my standard of living one iota I've been a savings machine. Now Black Friday comes along and I don't feel guilty (or as guilty) buying myself things I have wanted. Cases in point - two sets of 1200 thread count sheets at $25 each, a back up Chromebook at $119.99 plus tax, a new HP Envy printer for $29.99 on very deep discount, and a metal detector for SO at $59.00 plus tax. I also picked up a 32 inch TV for my Mom for $79.99 plus tax. All these things were well discounted and all these things have been wanted for some time. Black Friday is a bit of a spectacle, but it has brought these items not only into closer reach but also into the territory of less guilt for buying them.

Just a different take is all. And I would not especially want Black Friday to take place more than once a year.

One tip I do have to anyone open to Black Friday - Target has great crowd control and is my favorite Black Friday retailer - followed by Big Five Sporting Goods (no crowds there at all at 5 AM this morning). Happpy Holidays to one and all, btw! Rob

Another tip - if you ever find anything interesting in a "men's gifts" area of a department store, these things go for 70% or more off on December 26th. Rob

I am so out if it, not sure I have e er done shopping on Black Friday. The stuff I want isnt normally held at big box dtores or mall stoes anyway. And if I had to go to IKEA on Black Friday I think I would probably have a panic attack since I hate that place anyway in normal time even when I go there on a perfectly quiet weekday afternoons. Anyway

Anyway – here is my question: are there *really*deals on Black Friday that do not take place at any other time?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am so out if it, not sure I have e er done shopping on Black Friday. The stuff I want isnt normally held at big box dtores or mall stoes anyway. And if I had to go to IKEA on Black Friday I think I would probably have a panic attack since I hate that place anyway in normal time even when I go there on a perfectly quiet weekday afternoons. Anyway

Anyway – here is my question: are there *really*deals on Black Friday that do not take place at any other time?
    IL, my take is yes indeed there are. That TV, printer, metal detector and the high thread sheet sets I posted about above? I've been keeping track to get the best deals and over the past year, these are the best prices I've seen for these goods bought brand new. So, yes, in some areas my experience is that Black Friday does have deals to offer. Rob

To expand on rob's point based on the income stats about people in the US I suspect a lot of people who 'go crazy' over Black Friday do so because it's sale sale sale sale! And this is the one time of the year that they feel they can splurge on stuff that their family want/need. Sure they'd love to just be able to buy what they want when they want and not be especially price conscious all year long, but that just isn't half the country's reality.

We never shop on BF. We are going to a movie. 2 of our theaters have lowered their prices to $5 before 5pm.

I did see at least one retailer say they wouldn't open Thursday (don't remember which one) so their employees could be home with their families. I don't generally shop BF. I am at work where it's nice and quiet. There has been a lot of buzz in my town the last few years promoting Shop Local Saturday, which his nice.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I did see at least one retailer say they wouldn't open Thursday (don't remember which one) so their employees could be home with their families. I don't generally shop BF. I am at work where it's nice and quiet. There has been a lot of buzz in my town the last few years promoting Shop Local Saturday, which his nice.
    One area in which I will shop local this year (and over the course of the year beyond the Holidays) is soap. I've been buying locally made soap from an entrenpreneur/activist soap maker I know and my skin loves it! I've decided that in this New Year this is the one luxury I will allow myself beyond higher class looking teeth tended to at a fraction of the price in Mexico - I will be supporting this person's small business and using this locally made soap exclusively. Did I just cross the line into middle class? Rob

Fru fru soap s indeed middle class stuff, yet still another item I do not get and do not want as a gift. I used bar soap until I gave up the battle with DH who claims to need Dial for his feet. So, we use
    Dial in the shower and have in recent years changed to liquid soap, but I feel guilty about that, more silly unnecessary stuf going into the landfill.

Fancy soaps usually have fragrance which gives me a asthma attack. I give them away. I do like liquid soap but just refill the same containers.

Thread Information