Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday mayhem!

Black Friday mayhem!

Well, apparently a gunman in Alabama shot some people at a mall over a holiday shopping dispute. Horrible, but not unexpected.

I hate Black Friday and everything it stands for.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I hate Black Friday and everything it stands for.
    I agree. I usually do buy nothing day, but we did do our usual Friday grocery shopping this morning. The grocery store was positively serene, except there was Christmas music. I loathe Christmas music, and if I had to listen to it all day every day for a month, I might snap and shoot someone.

Was it an ammo sale for maximum irony?

I also do buy nothing, although I contacted someone about a used daybed, and I need gas if I go hiking. I worked at Target for 5 years so I am well over the holiday stuff. I try to buy local when I can, and then avoid the big days.

Yesterday afternoon I went to a major retailer's Web site and bought a replacement iPad for DW. It -- surprisingly -- was a breeze, with no difficulty finding the product and with the Web site keeping up with all the other bargain hunters on it. There's no way you could get me near a brick-and-mortar store today (or yesterday ftm -- I will not go to a store to shop on Thanksgiving) but it just made good sense to save 25% on a product we were going to buy soon anyway (DW's current iPad is literally just about worn out). That is all the Black Friday shopping I intend to do.

I guess I don't hold BF in the same contempt as others here; if it can work for me without severely bothering others, why not? Besides, BF is creeping all over the map. I can't count the number of pre-BF and CyberMonday sales I've gotten emails about, from vendors as disparate as big-box discounters to Web hosting services.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I hate it, but I'm going to work today (no overtime, I'm a contractor, time). And I hate that I'm going to work too.
    Trees don't grow on money

Isn't black Friday so named because it's when retailers supposedly start making a profit?
    I bought a few things on line yesterday, as well,
    I wouldn't venture out and battle crowds to save a few bucks, ever. For any reason. For many, it seems to be sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    For many, it seems to be sport.
    Indeed. A popular post-meal pasttime in DW's family's Thanksgiving celebration is poring over all the BF print ads. Some of it is for saving $$; some of it is to get ideas for gifts to be purchased later; some of the plotting and planning undoubtedly is sport.

The other popular post-meal pasttime in DW's family is sport: watching football on TV.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Well, lets see. Wed afternoon a pre Friday sale on 70% off Xmas fabric for quilting and 50% off yarn for Mom's hobbies. But it was right next door to where we took Mom for an early nonstressful Thanksgiving lunch.

Thanksgiving morning at 6am skipped the electronics but got cat food and litter on a big sale.

On Friday, Hubby went to hardware stores for some tools on sale and some Xmas presents for the guys also on sale. Then exercise class and he went off to do building work for Habitat for Humanity.

Another sale is tomorrow at 7am again for fabric at 70% off.

Lots of other sales but we need nothing else. Hubby got his Xmas electronics online already. (I dont like talking to electronic boxes and like them even less when they talk back.)

Thread Information