Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday mayhem!

As I am a new grandma, I can't help but think of how we train up our babies to be consumers...
    It is training and a brainwashing and oftentimes really a sort of trance (but I do think it is because life in this society is pretty unrewarding otherwise, it's just work work-work-work, and so you want to feel like you get something for that work is probably how it goes. And what do you get for that work? Just money, some at least of which of course you need).

But yea consumerism is a frame of mind that can be slipped in and out of even if not easily. Every home decorating magazine is of that mindset (I don't think that's the only example of the mindset of course, it's just a very pure distilled form of the trance for me - bah that sounds like I do a lot of home decorating, I don't really, it holds a trance like appeal when reading that stuff though).

I've never been more broken of the consumerist mindset/trance EVER than by long term unemployment. But it's easy to slip into with a little feeling economically safe - which I actually don't have, so I'm not really here nor there, in this liminal state. But I have a different type of spending mentality that does sometimes think about stocking up though - on stuff I wont' be able (or willing anyway - I'll wear rags and stuff rather than buy clothes) to buy when unemployed. But much else I can't even think about buying and so don't. The clarity after unemployment on such things is the cleansing after a fast (ha since that is often a topic here) or after a rain. But the fast itself is misery and unemployment I would wish on my worst enemy but not on anyone I didn't hate - because it's not something people should have to go through. And the revelation isn't: I should save for a rainy day. I did anyway, I think this has real limitations. It's rather: consumerism is pretty pointless, ain't it? That's how it came to seem because I wasn't allowed it for all that time.

But will I get lectured on not understanding the poor poor people who couldn't afford electronic gadgetry otherwise or something if they didn't hit black friday sales. Well ... I choose to work black friday because I was that hard up for money since I don't know where I'll be when this contract is over. So my black friday decisions were actually money and desperation driven, they just weren't about shopping.
    Trees don't grow on money

We were driving back from visiting ds yesterday. We (I) used the smart phone to buy Dd high quality long underwear for Christmas at a 25% discount. It will make her outdoors in all weather job much more pleasant.

we also bought a tow and a tire.

i am making a special trip into town to shop a sale at a small business I love, but it’s not really “supporting” it - I “support” it more when I shop there at regular cost year round.

I went into work on Black Friday. Short day and didn't make up for the whole day off for Thanksgiving, but it is something to add to the paycheck. Then cooked the "free" turkey from the grocery store - which will be shared with my neighbor. While it was cooking, I watched movies and crocheted an afghan for my niece - a very belated housewarming gift. I have been described as the "worse consumer ever" as I really dislike shopping for anything. I look around at all the "stuff" and only see things I'll be trying to declutter later.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I have been described as the "worse consumer ever" as I really dislike shopping for anything. I look around at all the "stuff" and only see things I'll be trying to declutter later.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    As I am a new grandma, I can't help but think of how we train up our babies to be consumers...it makes me sad. I saw all the ads and thought it ironic that on this same day the news of our impending climate change realities came out...yet shopping trumped all.
    USians live in a consumer-/consumption-driven economy. If we don't keep buying, the wheels grind to a halt. I'm not saying that's a good thing; just how our economy runs. So there is (what seems to us simple-living folk to be) an undue emphasis on buying things even if what is already owned is perfectly usable.

Climate change, on the other hand, is old news and disputed by way too many people. Getting a great deal on a new TV seems far more achievable than addressing climate change to a positive level of resolution. So, yeah, Black Friday is going to carry the news day whenever it happens...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanksgiving Day I drove 2 hours to have dinner with my goddaughter and her extended family. Spent the night, then drove 2 hours to work yesterday morning. We worked until 4 (they let us out 1 hour early).

I went by the dive shop after work to take 2 tanks in to get "doubled up" (to wear as 2 tanks on my back, bolted together), to try in the pool over the winter to see how it works out (for more advanced stuff a bit in the future). I had been given the wing (air bladder) and manifold to connect the 2 tanks by an online friend (an older diver who has a lot of gear sitting around unused). The wing is 10-12 years old and needed a few bits replaced. Manifold didn't fit my tank valves (threading is different). Shop gave me a very good deal on the manifold I had to buy and I can sell the one I was given, which will cover me having to buy one. Current model of the wing I was given retails for $330, so friend saved me a lot of $$! They gave me $$ off on the wing parts I had to buy, too.

ApatheticNoMore,
    I'm glad you posted that not everyone has the option of buying optional extras during Black Friday. I hope for a more stable and prosperous New Year for you, and everyone in a similar situation.

Lots of people here went to the movies. We could barely find 2 seats together. Beats shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I might be more convinced of this if I was convinced it was anything anyone really needs (items of clothing or light bulbs or something maybe ... but that's never what gets the hype so it never leaves that impression. Maybe appliances come closest).
    If people were completely practical I'd agree. But I included what people both want and need for a reason. People want to buy their loved ones not just the stuff they need but also the stuff they want. No, one's kid doesn't need they latest electronic gadget but they surely want it. And if the parent has a limited budget then Black Friday sales may be the only time they can afford the gadget. And the only time they're willing to splurge for it. Like it or not there's a very real expectation that some wants will be under the tree on Christmas morning and it takes a pretty hard hearted parent to not try to meet at least some of them if they can at all afford to. Especially if they've been saying 'sorry, we just can't afford that,' all year long. If it weren't for the wants in our families/our own lives, everyone's home would look like Ultralite's with only the minimal of functional furniture and absolutely nothing that brings joy other than a cute dog sitting in the corner.

"If it weren't for the wants in our families/our own lives, everyone's home would look like Ultralite's with only the minimal of functional furniture and absolutely nothing that brings joy other than a cute dog sitting in the corner."

No joy? Who are you to say that Ultralite's home is joyless based on his possessions and life choices?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information