Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Black Friday mayhem!

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,468
    Wow, fell into the BF weekend trap yesterday. Went to a damaged freight store I visit, to get office supplies. Walked out with paper clips,($6.50 for 2000) a tb Samsung SSD for a laptop I have been wanting to order/build this year ($103) and a dvd series I have long looked for there. ($20 verses $30 at Amazon) Also a very basic laptop with some specs showing it more at the mid price point, priced at the lowest end point, for work and the boss whose divorce is finishing. (last computer he used was ex's, three years ago, we rarely need one for work, but that is changing slowly, and this keeps mine at home) ($263.99 for I5-8250U 4gb, 1tb with 16gb ssd that I just need to put Libreoffice and Gnucash on as well as different browsers)
    Alan, I think there is one memory spot open, how much memory would you recommend for a basic use laptop with Windows 10?

    Then a couple years magazines, for a special needs customer who likes a particular car style. I only see these on sale through the discount sites around this time. These and the laptop are both reimbursing items.

  2. #42
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,813
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Alan, I think there is one memory spot open, how much memory would you recommend for a basic use laptop with Windows 10?
    I think it depends on how the machine is going to be used. If it will primarily run the open source programs you mentioned in a small office, I'd say 4GB would be fine, but if you're going to run lots of programs at the same time or use it for gaming or video intensive activities, I'd go with 8GB.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,994
    People want to buy their loved ones not just the stuff they need but also the stuff they want. No, one's kid doesn't need they latest electronic gadget but they surely want it. And if the parent has a limited budget then Black Friday sales may be the only time they can afford the gadget. And the only time they're willing to splurge for it. Like it or not there's a very real expectation that some wants will be under the tree on Christmas morning and it takes a pretty hard hearted parent to not try to meet at least some of them if they can at all afford to. Especially if they've been saying 'sorry, we just can't afford that,' all year long.
    well then it's kind of a manifestation of a toxic culture (u.s. culture to the extent it breeds those expectations - ban advertising!). Well ok I can accept that. And sometimes we can resist that culture as adults and sometimes we can't (especially kids).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  4. #44
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    "If it weren't for the wants in our families/our own lives, everyone's home would look like Ultralite's with only the minimal of functional furniture and absolutely nothing that brings joy other than a cute dog sitting in the corner."

    No joy? Who are you to say that Ultralite's home is joyless based on his possessions and life choices?
    I was thinking of that quote about not owning anything that isn't either useful or that brings joy to one's life. The photos UL posted show a household that appears to have only useful things in it. The only extravagances in them were a dog, a couple of extra dining room chairs and a few extra hangers. There didn't appear to be anything that didn't have a specific functional purpose. Who knows. Maybe there are, in fact, frivolous, joy-bringing things in his home but he chose to leave them out of the pics because they don't fit the persona he wishes to present to us.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    5,869
    Some people don’t care about their home and decorating, etc. Nothing wrong with that and I just assumed that was how UL felt.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I was thinking of that quote about not owning anything that isn't either useful or that brings joy to one's life. The photos UL posted show a household that appears to have only useful things in it. The only extravagances in them were a dog, a couple of extra dining room chairs and a few extra hangers. There didn't appear to be anything that didn't have a specific functional purpose. Who knows. Maybe there are, in fact, frivolous, joy-bringing things in his home but he chose to leave them out of the pics because they don't fit the persona he wishes to present to us.
    Perhaps I should have given you the full tour!

    IMG_2136.jpg
    Fishing stuff. Can't wait until spring! Trout!!!!

    IMG_2135.jpg
    Backpack hanging there is for "jet-setting all over the world with the sole purpose of pissing off Yppej."
    Also a folding kick scooter which is fun for riding on nice spring and summer days.
    There are a couple of hand weights there for work outs.

    IMG_2140.jpg
    A luxury!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  7. #47
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,114
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I was thinking of that quote about not owning anything that isn't either useful or that brings joy to one's life. [...] There didn't appear to be anything that didn't have a specific functional purpose. Who knows. Maybe there are, in fact, frivolous, joy-bringing things in his home but he chose to leave them out of the pics because they don't fit the persona he wishes to present to us.
    Why do things that bring us joy have to be "frivolous"? It's a joy to me to use a sharp, well-balanced chef's knife, and that's about as utilitarian an object as can be found in most homes (excepting fancy handles and Damascus steel). Is there no intersection between "useful" and "joy-bringing"?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  8. #48
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Why do things that bring us joy have to be "frivolous"? It's a joy to me to use a sharp, well-balanced chef's knife, and that's about as utilitarian an object as can be found in most homes (excepting fancy handles and Damascus steel). Is there no intersection between "useful" and "joy-bringing"?
    Steve, helluva good point here.

    I really like my little crock pot. And in my life it is about as utilitarian as it gets!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it depends on how the machine is going to be used. If it will primarily run the open source programs you mentioned in a small office, I'd say 4GB would be fine, but if you're going to run lots of programs at the same time or use it for gaming or video intensive activities, I'd go with 8GB.

    Thanks. I think I will go ahead and upgrade it as I don't know quite what the future for it will bring (and memory is a cheap boost).
    This made me go look at one I have been looking at, for a couple of years or better (since they started a crowdfunding effort). I was shocked that they came through, then thought they were overpriced and wouldn't last, and then have been arguing with myself this year, in part because they fail to actually list valuable/needed specs for an educated purchase.
    Black Monday, sale and wanting one for over a year, pushed me to reward Purism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •