Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Drama

Yppej
    We took all sorts of illegal actions to prop up dictators in this hemisphere but we have never intervened to help the victims of gangs in Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. Maybe this could be the war Trump needs to distract people as Mueller winds up his investigation. We didn't have a problem interfering in Guatemala before.

Some people are so principled that they would not leave an impoverished, violent, third-world shit hole and illegally enter a foreign, wealthy, largely peaceful nation so that their kids could live quality, healthy, fulfilling lives. Right, Alan? Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    ... Why would they stop in Mexico where there are no jobs and people go hungry?...
    An awful lot of US citizens go hungry as well. Take a look at the amount of free-and-reduced-price school breakfasts and lunches served annually, and look at the statistics on senior hunger. We have a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    An awful lot of US citizens go hungry as well. Take a look at the amount of free-and-reduced-price school breakfasts and lunches served annually, and look at the statistics on senior hunger. We have a huge problem.
    I have eaten pretty reasonably on $10.50 worth of groceries a week a few times. I ate these foods during those times:
    -Lentils
    -Rice
    -Carrots
    -Cabbage
    -Bananas
    -Peanut butter
    -Bread
    -Eggs

Had I $20 I could have eaten really quite well. So while I think that there are some kids going hungry in this country I think part of it is that their parents drank it or snorted it up their nose.

As for seniors, I think that taxing the wealthy and giving them more social security or food stamps could fix the problem. But I also think that as individuals they should have planned better for old age AND simultaneously we as a society should be teaching better home economics and personal finance to all. I know I could have used that!

But I think if you can't pull together $20 bucks a week to eat, you have some other serious problems in the majority of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have eaten pretty reasonably on $10.50 worth of groceries a week a few times. I ate these foods during those times:
    -Lentils
    -Rice
    -Carrots
    -Cabbage
    -Bananas
    -Peanut butter
    -Bread
    -Eggs

Had I $20 I could have eaten really quite well. So while I think that there are some kids going hungry in this country I think part of it is that their parents drank it or snorted it up their nose.

As for seniors, I think that taxing the wealthy and giving them more social security or food stamps could fix the problem. But I also think that as individuals they should have planned better for old age AND simultaneously we as a society should be teaching better home economics and personal finance to all. I know I could have used that!

But I think if you can't pull together $20 bucks a week to eat, you have some other serious problems in the majority of cases.
    Then maybe you could help by paying back your school loans in full.

I know kids go hungry here. I was a social worker and worked in some of those programs.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Then maybe you could help by paying back your school loans in full.
    What do you mean "in full?"

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So after escaping violence I guess it makes total sense to seek asylum in a poor country where your kids will most likely starve. That makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Some people are so principled that they would not leave an impoverished, violent, third-world shit hole and illegally enter a foreign, wealthy, largely peaceful nation so that their kids could live quality, healthy, fulfilling lives. Right, Alan? Right!
    I know it's hard to apply reason in a venue that prefers emotion but consider this: The media has convinced most of us that these immigrants are seeking asylum from their country of origin for whatever reason. The problem lies in the fact that they have passed through another country which has offered them asylum and they have refused the offer. This removes the pressing need that is essential in all country's asylum policies and leaves the immigrants in the legal state of people wishing to come to this country to improve their economic prospects. There is a different process for them.

For those of you who insist on granting asylum to people who are already removed from whatever threat caused them to flee their country, please consider the fact that you're taking asylum spots from people who may actually need them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I doubt Mexico has offered asylum to all those people. They can’t afford the people that live there.

Yppej
    Dmc, don't you know that international leisure travel for adults is more important that food for children? Children can't enjoy exotic spices, special keto diets, won't want to fast, and might not be quiet enough if taken out to an Indian restaurant. They and their need to eat are not pseudohipster chic.

Thread Information