Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Border Drama

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    dmc: I read over this again. You really made some excellent financial decisions. I can appreciate that and I respect you for it.

Here is my question to you: Put yourself in my place right now. What would you do? I am open to your ideas. Please share your wisdom.
    i don’t blame you for taking advantage of the program, I just don’t agree with the program. Instead of using this program to entice you to stay, they should just pay everyone a bit more. Don’t most public service jobs also have good benefits and pretty stable jobs. Why should you get a break and not someone else just because they don’t work for the public sector?

I ended up moving from Texas to Wyoming for a better paying job, then I ended up moving from there to Missouri. I was able to move up in pay with each new job.

When did you go to college?

Also: You know I am a public servant, right?
    I graduated in 1980, during the Carter years, high unemployment and high interest rates. I paid in the low teens in interest on my first home, and I believe the unemployment rate was close to 10%. I know college cost were less then, probably due to the fact that there wasn’t as much easy money loans. But due to my moving around a bit before we settled in Missouri my wife attended school in Ky, Wy, and two schools in Missouri. She got her masters degree in the late 80’s while we had twin boys at home.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Border drama: Vermont

Just saw that the Border Patrol is in Grand Isle mapping out checkpoints on the island!! We are 26 miles from Canada and apparently the federal government has the authority to put checkpoints anywhere within 100 miles of the border. This is ridiculous!! The local paper has tried to get information from them and they won't give any.
    Since I live on the gulf coast I and pretty much everyone in Florida is within 100 miles of the border.

this is from their web sight

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-border-patrol

Just saw that the Border Patrol is in Grand Isle mapping out checkpoints on the island!! We are 26 miles from Canada and apparently the federal government has the authority to put checkpoints anywhere within 100 miles of the border. This is ridiculous!! The local paper has tried to get information from them and they won't give any.
    There’s a whole genre on youtube of border patrol checkpoint refusals that provide instruction for people who don’t wish to give up their constitutional rights. TLDR (actually TLDW (watch)) version: the advice basically amounts to repeating these two phrases, and nothing else, calmly, over and over regardless of what the CBP person says or asks:

‘Am i being detained?’
    ‘Am i free to go?’

What does this mean? Do you mean you have to drive through checkpoints to get from the mainland to your home, or checkpoints you have to navigate moving around your island?

Bae, does this happen where you are, on your island near Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    i don’t blame you for taking advantage of the program, I just don’t agree with the program.
    Why don't you agree with the program?

Instead of using this program to entice you to stay, they should just pay everyone a bit more.
    Who should pay everyone a bit more? Have you considered writing a letter to "they" and suggesting they pay everyone more? Do so. Let me know how they respond.

Don’t most public service jobs also have good benefits and pretty stable jobs.
    This varies quite a bit by state, agency, level of government, union or anti-union, and so on.

Why should you get a break and not someone else just because they don’t work for the public sector?
    Why should soldiers get the GI Bill and not people in the private sector who do comparable work? The army has barbers. Should a barber working at Sports Clips get the GI Bill?

I get a break because I am dedicating ten years of my career to public service. The work I do helps to fund cancer research, scholarships for students, agricultural research, etc. Things that benefit the public at large.

I ended up moving from Texas to Wyoming for a better paying job, then I ended up moving from there to Missouri. I was able to move up in pay with each new job.
    The economy was a lot different then.

Again, if you were me in this very moment, what would you suggest I do? I am all ears, bro. Drop some science on me, my ninja!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What does this mean? Do you mean you have to drive through checkpoints to get from the mainland to your home, or checkpoints you have to navigate moving around your island?

Bae, does this happen where you are, on your island near Canada?
    Looks like they are setting up a checkpoint on the main causeway from the mainland to the island. So it will probably be the most inconvenient going to and from Burlington. So ironic. Not a traffic light on the island, but now we have to stop for border patrol. I don't get why they need more checkpoints when they already have one up at the border. Interestingly, I'm watching the comments on FB, and there are quite a few people who don't have a problem with it, in the name of public safety. They are accusing the people upset about it of politicizing it--and they are accusing the media (meaning the little weekly local paper) of spreading anti-Trump bias.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, are ya’ll trying to capture dark skinned people up there? According to your news reports, what populations are illegally coming over the border?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Catherine, are ya’ll trying to capture dark skinned people up there? According to your news reports, what populations are illegally coming over the border?
    Of course! God forbid the proportion of Caucasians in Vermont drops below 97%! I have no idea where this "threat" is coming from. DH says that if Trump effectively prevents people from coming through at the southern border, they might try the northern border (maybe build rafts and paddle from Tijuana to Vancouver, and then hike 3000 miles to get to the Vermont/Canadian border, don L.L. Bean flannel shirts, grow beards and slip in quietly. Hmm.. so crazy it just might work!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Why don't you agree with the program?

Who should pay everyone a bit more? Have you considered writing a letter to "they" and suggesting they pay everyone more? Do so. Let me know how they respond.

This varies quite a bit by state, agency, level of government, union or anti-union, and so on.

Why should soldiers get the GI Bill and not people in the private sector who do comparable work? The army has barbers. Should a barber working at Sports Clips get the GI Bill?

I get a break because I am dedicating ten years of my career to public service. The work I do helps to fund cancer research, scholarships for students, agricultural research, etc. Things that benefit the public at large.

The economy was a lot different then.

Again, if you were me in this very moment, what would you suggest I do? I am all ears, bro. Drop some science on me, my ninja!
    I believe the economy is in a lot better shape now than in the 80’s. My sons are 34 now and have had no problem with jobs. One is self employed and the other works for a local company. My daughter in law wanted to move to Florida near us and he had a new job lined up before they moved. My daughter in law sells aviation insurance and her company lets her work from home.

i don’t know your skills or degrees. I assume if you haven’t pursued better paying jobs by now it really doesn’t matter. If no one would take the public sector jobs they would either have to raise the salary’s or do without. Evidently you can’t leave due to your loans.

My wife and I also put in much more than a 40 hr week for years also, and we did not get overtime. But it was figured into the pay and bonuses. You may not be interested in that. We also took some risk with our money, I bought land in 2001 and sold it all in 2005 when I thought it was getting ahead of itself. But I also lost some in the dot com bubble.

Thread Information