Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Drama

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    But I think if you can't pull together $20 bucks a week to eat, you have some other serious problems in the majority of cases.
    You might want to hang out and do a couple shifts at your local food bank, you might learn a thing or two.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I know kids go hungry here. I was a social worker and worked in some of those programs.
    Thank you for doing this work. It must have been hard to see hungry children.

So I have to ask, did it sometimes take away your own appetite, or did it not impact you so you would perhaps overeat, maybe anonymously to avoid a public display of your privilege?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know it's hard to apply reason in a venue that prefers emotion but consider this: The media has convinced most of us that these immigrants are seeking asylum from their country of origin for whatever reason. The problem lies in the fact that they have passed through another country which has offered them asylum and they have refused the offer. This removes the pressing need that is essential in all country's asylum policies and leaves the immigrants in the legal state of people wishing to come to this country to improve their economic prospects. There is a different process for them.

For those of you who insist on granting asylum to people who are already removed from whatever threat caused them to flee their country, please consider the fact that you're taking asylum spots from people who may actually need them.

The decades long immigrant fiasco aside.....I find it hard to take seriously any discussion regarding 5,000 or so economically stressed humans as being an “invasion” of a country of around 300 million with an ample supply of ready menial jobs and a plethora of unscrupulous businessmen willing to hire them at poverty level wages. Whatever they are fleeing has to be a hideous life.

Was the first colonial settlement......legal immigrants?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I suppose so, unexpected, perhaps even unwanted, doesn't equal illegal.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Are we talking Roanoke Island, where the English came in and assimilated so well with a friendly tribe that they disappeared as a distinct people?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Dmc, don't you know that international leisure travel for adults is more important that food for children? Children can't enjoy exotic spices, special keto diets, won't want to fast, and might not be quiet enough if taken out to an Indian restaurant. They and their need to eat are not pseudohipster chic.
    Don't want to actually debate the one you are targeting in these comments, huh? Can't blame you, after the way it made you look last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What do you mean "in full?"
    The total amount you borrowed plus interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The decades long immigrant fiasco aside.....I find it hard to take seriously any discussion regarding 5,000 or so economically stressed humans as being an “invasion” of a country of around 300 million with an ample supply of ready menial jobs and a plethora of unscrupulous businessmen willing to hire them at poverty level wages. Whatever they are fleeing has to be a hideous life.

We need a way to process them so we know who is coming in,and that they have jobs lined up. Not a mob storming the border. Maybe those farmers can guarantee them jobs and pay their taxes on them.

Y, no it didn’t cause any eating issues for me. I did donate all my kids clothes, toys that they outgrew to these families. I also would buy them food from my personal money at holiday time. I only lasted 4 years and then went back to graduate school. Working with abused, some hungry kids is heartbreaking. Trying to figure out which pervert in the family sexually abused a 2 yo girl. Seeing kids go downhill in foster homes. Some good ones but some just doing it for the money. People taking their small children to Walmart and teaching them to steal because you can’t prosecute someone under 10. They got a big surprise when we took all 10 kids to a safe house. A 5 yo so abused physically that he begged me to run over his mother. He was very violent for obvious reasons. 30 years ago still feels close sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Not a mob storming the border.
    Maybe if instead of sending soldiers and closing the border we'd sent lawyers and immigration judges it wouldn't have appeared to be a mob storming the border. This is just another example of US law enforcement escalating a situation and then being blaming others when it turned ugly.

Thread Information