Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Drama

I’m not aurprised. We should have been sending immigration judges not the military. Trump set it up to be a violent conflict because he knew his supporters would be all in favor. And now they won’t be disappointed.

I agree jp...this is not going to end well and it sets up any immigration reform for failure. We are better than this and just need the WILL to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m not aurprised. We should have been sending immigration judges not the military. Trump set it up to be a violent conflict because he knew his supporters would be all in favor. And now they won’t be disappointed.
    I believe the violence is taking place in Mexico, against Mexican authorities. I didn't think Trump had that level of influence.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Actually it was US CBP who used tear gas against them after the migrants threw projectiles upon being refused access to the port where they intended to file for asylum. Perhaps if they thought they might actually be getting a fair asylum hearing instead of just being repelled by the US military there'd be a lot less tension. So, yeah, it's on the divider in chief.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s...tering-n939891

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Actually it was US CBP who used tear gas against them after the migrants threw projectiles upon being refused access to the port where they intended to file for asylum. Perhaps if they thought they might actually be getting a fair asylum hearing instead of just being repelled by the US military there'd be a lot less tension. So, yeah, it's on the divider in chief.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s...tering-n939891
    + about a trillion!!! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I agree jp...this is not going to end well and it sets up any immigration reform for failure. We are better than this and just need the WILL to address it.
    Thank You....plus about a billion!!! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They have a legal right to request asylum. They are not breaking the law by being there. Obviously trying to enter illegally is breaking the law and they will be deported. What we are doing separating families, taking forever to look at asylum requests is breaking the law as well as immoral.
    Very much I agree with you, TT. What we are doing IS highly immoral. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe the violence is taking place in Mexico, against Mexican authorities. I didn't think Trump had that level of influence.
    Nope. A simple googling if you wish to get up to speed on this issue will reveal that tear gas was deployed by US authorities against the migrants. OTOH I'm grateful it was not bullets - just think of the further reputational decline on the World Stage, the continued and increasing decline in international tourism to the US by people with money that would benefit the US if spent here, and the effects on national wealth via continued deep stock market plunges. Then again, was the tear gas really necessary, either? This is the kind of American thinking I have found repellent starting around the age of 8 (though to be fair I only understood the very basics of this at that age). What was achieved by using the tear gas other than coming across as a third world type dictatorship? A serious question is this last as I don't believe personally there is a sane answer to this question.

Will be interesting and also a source of great fear to see how this situation continues to unfold. I'm just glad the border was only closed for five hours - hopefully there were no US Citizen deaths due to lack of access to affordable Mexican health care. If there were, I personally would consider Donald J Trump somewhere in the middle of directly and indirectly responsible for murder of any US citizens who passed due to this lack of access to Mexican health care while the border was admittedly briefly closed. Rob

_Personally I am unable to forgive Donald Trump for this transgression - of Human Rights, Human Dignity, and Common Sense. Good thing I live around almost exclusively Democrats as every time I look at a known Trump supporter going forward, I am going to see this blatant example of lack of respect for Human Rights, Human Dignity, and Common Sense. Though to be honest where I live in my infamous zip code I won't run across many if any Trump supporters. After today that suits me just fine. Rob

60 Minutes tonight ran a show about the poor kids being separated and the mental trauma they experienced. Some employees couldn’t stomach it and quit. Some cried.

Thread Information