Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Drama

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Actually it was US CBP who used tear gas against them after the migrants threw projectiles upon being refused access to the port where they intended to file for asylum. Perhaps if they thought they might actually be getting a fair asylum hearing instead of just being repelled by the US military there'd be a lot less tension. So, yeah, it's on the divider in chief.

It appears I wasn't up-to-date on the drama at hand, my mistake. I knew some members of the caravan had been clashing with Mexican riot police but was unaware that several hundred of them had forced their way past the Mexican authorities and tried to enter the US illegally through holes in the fence.

Thanks for the update!

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Nope. A simple googling if you wish to get up to speed on this issue will reveal that tear gas was deployed by US authorities against the migrants. OTOH I'm grateful it was not bullets - just think of the further reputational decline on the World Stage, the continued and increasing decline in international tourism to the US by people with money that would benefit the US if spent here, and the effects on national wealth via continued deep stock market plunges. Then again, was the tear gas really necessary, either? This is the kind of American thinking I have found repellent starting around the age of 8 (though to be fair I only understood the very basics of this at that age). What was achieved by using the tear gas other than coming across as a third world type dictatorship? A serious question is this last as I don't believe personally there is a sane answer to this question.

Will be interesting and also a source of great fear to see how this situation continues to unfold. I'm just glad the border was only closed for five hours - hopefully there were no US Citizen deaths due to lack of access to affordable Mexican health care. If there were, I personally would consider Donald J Trump somewhere in the middle of directly and indirectly responsible for murder of any US citizens who passed due to this lack of access to Mexican health care while the border was admittedly briefly closed. Rob
    You should go down there while you can and tell them about the America that you know. Maybe you can convince them that they shouldn’t come. Why would they want to storm the gates or climb the fence to live here?

So people attempted to force the border and were turned back by non lethal means? So far I don’t see the atrocity here.

It’s interesting to see how various news sources can interpret the same event in so many different ways.

WWJD?

They were encouraged to do it by leaders of the movement. Now those leaders have gotten people deported.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So people attempted to force the border and were turned back by non lethal means? So far I don’t see the atrocity here.
    I'm curious what the "correct" response to the situation was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am not sure. Though I can think of some big incorrect responses.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    You should go down there while you can and tell them about the America that you know. Maybe you can convince them that they shouldn’t come. Why would they want to storm the gates or climb the fence to live here?
    Rob flees to Mexico all the time. I will trade one Rob for one hard-working Central American!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am not sure. Though I can think of some big incorrect responses.
    Annex Baja Norte, tell the people they are welcome to stay there, welcome to America.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They were encouraged to do it by leaders of the movement. Now those leaders have gotten people deported.
    People are always collateral damage in organized movements such as this. The important thing is to repeat over and over again "America is a racist country" and "It's all Trump's fault", that makes it all worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think you saw the "correct" response, but Rob's mileage may vary.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information