Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucket List

I’ve been to Germany and the Netherlands. I did enjoy it. But about 80% of travel is mundane, or even a bit of suffering.

Due to the stress of allergies (pet dander, perfumes, second hand smoke) on people’s Clothing on the airplane, and the viruses shared, I had bronchitis like symptoms for most of my trip. I slept in places with dust mites in the bedding, so more allergies.

The memories 10 years later are of the good parts. But it’s a small percentage of the whole.

For me, reading and watching is just as good, and I stay healthy.

No bucket list.

Just to continue doing what I'm doing (enjoy family, enjoy hobbies, enjoy life) and leave myself open to anything new.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Liking back at my 57 years, the items that deserve bucket list designation:

Bike rides
    Ice skating and roller skating
    Talking with my kids/grandkids at age 2-6
    Sitting outdoors talking with friends
    Walking through the woods on my dad’s farm
    Reading the 15-20 best books I’ve ever read
    Studying genetics as an undergrad

Not things I would predict but it’s what stands out to me in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Liking back at my 57 years, the items that deserve bucket list designation:

Bike rides
    Ice skating and roller skating
    Talking with my kids/grandkids at age 2-6
    Sitting outdoors talking with friends
    Walking through the woods on my dad’s farm
    Reading the 15-20 best books I’ve ever read
    Studying genetics as an undergrad

Not things I would predict but it’s what stands out to me in hindsight.
    Very interesting selections!

Went to see the movie with my best friend when it first came to theaters. Upon leaving, I had two items on my bucket list: 1- see (not necessarily meet) HH the Dalai Lama and 2 - see the Northern Lights. I've managed to see HHDL several times so seeing the Northern Lights remains.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Past experiences bucketlist worthy?

1. The time spent with Dad when he was dying. Storytelling, heartlfelt conversations. Being present at his last breath.
    2. Caring for Mom along with my younger sister, for the 7 weeks from diagnosis to death. Storytelling, heartfelt conversations. Being present at her last breath.
    3. Going to the Netherlands with Mom and Dad when I graduated from high school. Meeting all my family...grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins too numerous to count (100s of them). They said it was the best trip back of their lives because they got to show us "home" (we immigrated when I was a baby). They got to go places they had never been in their 38y there. They had a terrific time and so did we.
    4. Marrying my HS sweetheart. 38y and happier than ever.
    5. Watching my husband see the ocean for the first time ever when he was 19. (he had never left the state he was born in).
    6. Snorkeling in Kauai with a girlfriend..those amazing fish. We spent hours at a time out in the ocean for 6 days. Loved the swimming too.
    7. All of our family reunions. We have one every 5 years and started back in 1983. Such fun to hang out and get to know those nieces/nephews better and meet their children as the next generation goes. We had 34 people in 2015.
    8. Hubby and I went to our Bowl game in 2017. It was great fun to be there and support our team. And a bonus: we got Lady Gaga tickets at the last minute. What a fabulous artist she is...her show was phenominal. It was a great impulse trip/expense. Such fun. And yes, we won!

While family times standout as most precious.....We enjoy all our traveling. Too much to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    So what are some of the best bucket list things you completed?
    —Stayed in Stuart Castle in Scotland for several nights, not once but twice. Scottish baronial architecture is my jam, and that castle is wonderfully restored. I walked around it when it was an empty wreck when I was 25 years old and I yearned to get inside. 20+ years later after a rich Canadian had purchased it and renovated it as a guest house, I got to stay in it

— a life of bulldogs

— met Paul Simon, the singer, had private conversation

—lived in a big city, and In a victorian townhouse

—visited many European city centres that originated in medieval times

Buying the house next door to my parents and living there for 14 years. We all had so much fun together. I helped my mom care for my dad after his stroke and she helped with the boys so I could go to college. Was really lucky to have my mom until the age of 89. She flew out every year and we did the same. We have been to all the states except for about 10. We want to go to the east coast and explore the states we haven’t seen before. We continue to love cruising so are taking a trip in February. Going to New Orleans 4 days early to explore. Was there 20 years ago.

It surprised me too ultralight.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    —Stayed in Stuart Castle in Scotland for several nights, not once but twice. Scottish baronial architecture is my jam, and that castle is wonderfully restored. I walked around it when it was an empty wreck when I was 25 years old and I yearned to get inside. 20+ years later after a rich Canadian had purchased it and renovated it as a guest house, I got to stay in it
    Very cool!

Thread Information