Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victim blaming

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And what all this judgment has to do with making quilts and donating them is a mystery to me. People are human, and fallible. All of us. Even Judgy McJudgerson, MD.

If nothing else, a handmade quilt says "I'm sorry for your situation; here's something to provide comfort."
    i can’t do anything about these natural disasters. I can’t change our border migrant crisis. I can’t change there are so many people working to their full capacity and cannot fully support themselves without food stamps. In other words, there are too many problems for us to overcome in the face of our elected “let them eat cake” officials on both sides of the aisle who spend money like water on things that will benefit them and their cronies.

But I can try to help some of the victims. Food to food banks, quilts to cold children, little things done by thousands of people around the country every day. Because one thing I do know is trains derail with dangerous cargo, tornadoes hit, rivers overflow, ice storms hit, and so on. Anyone can be a victim and I only hope if me or my loved ones need help some kind person extends a helping hand.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    What I don't understand are the people who said they didn't evacuate because they had nowhere to go. What about the public shelters in schools and churches?
    How many people were in this group? A few who happened to be interviewed by the media? I have to think the very large majority of people try to do the right thing for themselves and their family. A few did not want to leave pets and farm animals, and in this last hurricane they only had a short notice, and in the California fire some only had minutes to evacuate.

We give of our time and money to help others. I won’t turn a blind eye. I hope if I ever needed it people would help me.

I offered two seats on my plane to several people when Irma was heading our way. I had no takers. They either thought that they could ride out the storm, or were worried about pets. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I wondered how some would have though afterword if someone was injured.

Next time I don’t think I will have a problem filling the plane. The ones I talked with after said they would not do it again.

Does being judgmental of judgmental people make you a judgmental person?

There are people too foolish to get out of the way of natural disasters when they have the chance. There are people who view dangerous parts of the world as tourism destinations. There are people who run with scissors. They deserve our pity more than our contempt. I see nothing wrong with helping them even when they provide examples of Darwinism in action.

D, nice of you to offer plane rides to people. I would have accepted if I could have brought my dogs. But probably I would have been long gone because I am a worry wart and don’t believe in riding out storms. L, you probably saw in the news the young missionary who went to a island where they are afraid of outsiders and they killed him. That’s plain stupid. Plus they have no immunity to disease so he could have killed them all. I totally don’t understand it when people travel to dangerous places.

Thread Information