Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to Start a New Christmas Tradition: Minimalist Style?

Oh, our town has a holiday 'abundance' swap, which is lovely. Lots of gratitude and sweetness. I'm gifting some old Coach handbags I don't use - I know they'll end up much appreciated. And I'll pick up some sweet things. It's a beautiful event.

What a great event G. I swap stuff with family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Oh, our town has a holiday 'abundance' swap, which is lovely. Lots of gratitude and sweetness. I'm gifting some old Coach handbags I don't use - I know they'll end up much appreciated. And I'll pick up some sweet things. It's a beautiful event.
    That IS a great idea! Makes me think....

We celebrate much like you do in our family, too.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    What about a themed gift exchange? We do one every year - if you want to participate you can, if you don't - don't. One year it was kitchen items, one year it was books, one year it was the letter "O", one year it was "oxymorons" i.e. someone gifted a bag of jumbo shrimp (really fun!), etc. Everyone who participates walks away with a gift. Exchanges afterwards definitely allowed.
    Just found out that this year's theme is "light". Time to put on my thinking cap. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Just found out that this year's theme is "light". Time to put on my thinking cap. LOL
    A lampshade perhaps?

Most of our family has gone pretty minimalistic with gift giving... except my mother-in-law. Every year I tell her that we just want to have a fun visit at Christmas, and every year she buys everyone (not just us, but everyone in her family, and she gives money to just about everyone who ever does any type of work for her) too much stuff and then complains about how much it costs.

I get it - she likes gifts. I also get that, at about 85 years of age, she's not going to change. But we don't have to reciprocate her way. We take a week of vacation and drive across the frozen Midwest each Christmas, and while there I do a lot of cooking and baking, both for meals and for the freezer. We always have a couple of small gifts for her, but the biggest gift is bringing her granddaughter for a visit.

How nice you go there and cook, I am sure she appreciates it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A lampshade perhaps?
    Hmm... definitely fits the theme. First to go on my list. Thanks. And makes me think of a "suncatcher" to catch the sun*light*. And there's number 2.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I probably would get something useful.... a nice flashlight or food that is refreshing and light ...

LED bulbs?

Thread Information