Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to Start a New Christmas Tradition: Minimalist Style?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Her behavior seems very strange. But if you value the friendship I guess you just put up with it.
    Yes, that is what it is about. She insists on being generous, and she is! But I think there is a little bit of a compulsion there, other than the “wheeeeee! christmassssss!!! Time to buy shit tons of stuff!” Which is obviously a bit of a compulsion.

Parents of new new babies have exacfly the same problem, grandparents who load up their household with stuff at Christmas despite being asked not to. There have been numerous posts over the years here and elsewhere about that. To some people, this Christmas holiday is ALL about the piles of presents.

My parents were awesome grandparents and gave my kids the gift of time. At Xmas each kid got 1 gift each. My parents took the kids places and played a lot with them.

What about a themed gift exchange? We do one every year - if you want to participate you can, if you don't - don't. One year it was kitchen items, one year it was books, one year it was the letter "O", one year it was "oxymorons" i.e. someone gifted a bag of jumbo shrimp (really fun!), etc. Everyone who participates walks away with a gift. Exchanges afterwards definitely allowed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That sounds like a neat idea Happystuff. It could even be consumables like wine or chocolate.

That sounds really fun, happystuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My parents were awesome grandparents and gave my kids the gift of time. At Xmas each kid got 1 gift each. My parents took the kids places and played a lot with them.
    My 16 year old niece recently confided to me that she and her siblings love when my sister, brothers or I come to visit. She has aunts and uncles who live very close to her, but she claims that her "New England" relatives spend more time with her and her siblings. The other aunts and uncles give lots of gifts all year long, but we talk to the kids. Who knew they would like that?

What she said that resonated with me: "When you ask me a question, you really listen to the answer."

So yeah, you might not think kids understand the gift of time, but as they grow up, they may come to appreciate it.

I call it the season of "have to's" We have to do this and that - its tradition! :-( I have fought it for years, but have only been labeled the grinch - and rightfully so. So I let them do their thing - my wife and dd's LOVE it, everything about it.

I see it as only clutter - expensive clutter. This year my wife suggested giving $$ to a family at Church, single income - several kids. I was all over that - planning how we can give anonymously etc. Now that is a tradition I can get excited about. Looking for those who we can help, quietly helping to lighten their burden. That is how prayers are answered - through us!

Wife and SIL singing at a special Church Christmas program - new tradition.

A few of us are attending the local Lutheran Church Christmas eve services - we are not of that faith - but enjoy their special Christmas music & sermon. It has become a new tradition.

My brother's birthday is right before Christmas and it was always a tradition for the family to go out for pizza then drive around looking at the lights. A tradition that needs to be re-born.

We really enjoy giving to needy families versus buying stuff for each other. We have done that for years.

With the infestation of the Lantern Fly in our area, I'm a little anxious about our tradition of going to cut our Christmas tree. I don't want an artificial one, but... I did look online to see homemade ones and saw a great "Charlie Brown-ish cardboard one - LOL. Not sure how the rest of the family will feel about that. I guess we will go look for a little one this year and just check it out carefully before cutting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We have a little 3 foot, 30 year old fake tree that I've become rather attached to - decorating takes about 10 minutes.

I'm glad that my siblings and in-laws have given up on the holiday gifts. We exchange cards or sometimes just emails and videos. It seems like once the kids were out of high school, that was it. No discussion about it.

With DH and DD, it's just giving stuff we know each other actually need. I'm getting DH a gel seat cover for his bike (how romantic!) and an overcoat (he lost his coat somehow.)
    DD is getting an electric kettle and some other kitchen doodads and house stuff.
    I do get a little creative with consumables - herbal teas and sweet treats and local goodies. I don't bake.

Confession: I love holiday shopping! (But mostly window shopping 😊

We do lots of community stuff - pub sings, concerts, carolling, etc. Attendance is not required; it is fun

Our main holiday is the solstice (hike and feast!) An outdoor fire, weather permitting.

Xmas is not spiritual for us, just exchanging gifts over brunch and enjoying the quiet trails and streets. DH & I plan a LOTR dvd marathon that evening - Frodo, hot cocoa, satsumas, popcorn.

DD is 19 and has her own place - it'll be interesting to see how she chooses to do holidays. With us? With friends?Things change.

I love the holiday lights but think how in the future we'll be aghast at wasting all this energy on sparklies. Enjoy while we can!

Thread Information