Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

An unfrugal day yesterday in some ways, frugal in others. Went to Target and bought the flannel sheets I wanted and they were 2 dollars off, so the set was 24 dollars. My phone cards were on sale so bought two months worth and saved 3 dollars. Should probably go back and buy more of those.

the flannel sheets were an extravagance but my others wore out and these are so nice, and so inexpensive compared to regular sheet sets. You can keep the heat comfortably lower if you have flannel sheets so that is frugal. The MRs. Meyers pine scent cleaner was an extravagance, but it only comes once a year and makes the house smell so nice and Christmassy!

bought my son and grandson's Christmas presents. I also put money in each grandchild's brokerage account for christmas, depending on how the year has gone. This year has gone very badly so they each only got a hundred dollars. But I'm glad to put something in there and it will grow. I have UTMA accounts since I did not want them to have to use the money for college, since I figure there are other ways for them to fund college. My goal is house downpayment for each grandchild, baby! I am with you, Dado, sock the money away for them instead of a lot of toys.

My husband figured out a way to turn the Christmas lights off from inside the house without unplugging them, so we will return the 9 dollar timer we bought a Menards for this purpose. Christmas lights are great example of frugal and extravagant at same time--running the electric for them is extravagant, I bought them on 75% off several years ago when we lived in upstate NY and I loved them, frugal; the first string is not the good kind of lights, extravagant; there's not that many of them and we put them in a new place this year and they light up both driveway when we come home after dark and the backyard, which looks pretty when we are inside looking out.

Yppej
    More free food at work. The price of home heating oil dropped so I put in my order today.

I picked up a coin off the ground today and it was a Sacagawea dollar. Sure beats a penny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    An unfrugal day yesterday in some ways, frugal in others. Went to Target and bought the flannel sheets I wanted and they were 2 dollars off, so the set was 24 dollars. My phone cards were on sale so bought two months worth and saved 3 dollars. Should probably go back and buy more of those.

the flannel sheets were an extravagance but my others wore out and these are so nice, and so inexpensive compared to regular sheet sets. You can keep the heat comfortably lower if you have flannel sheets so that is frugal.
    What a coincidence--I probably bought those same sheets! We had left our spare set of sheets up in VT and the ones we had in NJ looked pretty nasty, so I splurged on Target flannel sheets--and I think I also paid $24. And DH loves them--they're comfortable and warm. So, which ones did you buy? I bought the tan with Burgundy flower "stencil" pattern.

I do like Target!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How funny! I bought the thin sage stripe one, and they are the most comfortable flannel sheets I have ever had--seriously! They are incredibly cozy and a real buy!

I brought home 4 chicken carcasses from work. I simmered them down, chopped 2 bunches of celery, 2 pounds of carrots and 4 handfuls of country egg noodles. I'll be taking 7 quarts of soup back to work tomorrow.

Cancelled the $12.99/month Amazon Prime since I’m not using it. Cancelled the newspaper subscription couple of weeks ago. Loved it, just no time to read it. Just got a $17 refund check. Cancelled the magazine I was getting for a bit. $20 refund to cc.

Need to stop the 1-2 times a week getting lunch out at work (Subway). A PB&J, some fruit, and a yogurt are good. Breakfast is a grocery store bagel. Dinner is either soup (usually canned) or pasta. Drinking lots of tea as it’s cold here. Heat has to be on more than I would like due to weather.

I needed a few clothes, I only buy Talbots (best fit), but I got 40-50% off. Got a pair of jeans, a sweater set for the holidays (red), and a few t-shirts.

I saved $23/month by exchanging a newspaper for a digital one. Now only costs me 7/month so if I don’t read it everyday no big deal. I also can read it on vacation.

Yppej
    They offered and I'm borrowing books from several family members, cutting down on gas and wear and tear on the car to go to the library. I see them every week for a meal and Scrabble.

Catherine & Tybee: Good flannel sheets are a must in the winter and we spend a lot of time in bed, so good score. That's a great price.
    Gardnr: That is totally badass!
    Tradd & TT: Good work on cancelling the unused/underused subscriptions. That is money saved every single month.
    Yppej: Seeing family for a meal and scrabble sounds like a frugal in itself. The borrowed books are frosting on the cake.

Thread Information