Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

Yppej

December Frugals

Let's see how we all do in the month of Christmas.

To prepare I put some money on my heating account in November when I was doing well with my budget. Prepayments enable me to get the lowest COD rate.

I am still eating free food at work, they now have green tea as well as coffee for us in the break room, and tonight is the free holiday party. It doesn't offset the commuting costs but it's still nice.

Today I stocked up on soup and refried beans on sale.
    Last edited by Yppej; 12-1-18 at 10:54am.

I am continuing with sprouting two containers at a time. I just gave the morning rinse to peas and daikon radishes.

Hmmm...this will be a challenge. Trying to figure out how to set the precedent for gift-giving to our first grandchildren. We purchased a new refrigerator in November so the rebate applied to our heating bill for the old one will be a help.

I took DH to the airport this morning at 0515. He returns Thursday afternoon. I'll be eating a bit differently than he prefers (he eats anything I make but doesn't love the things below so I don't often make them for us, rather I simply enjoy them when he's not around for a meal.)

I had aging spinach and mushrooms in the fridge. I sauted the mushrooms in butter for a few meal sides. Then i steamed the spinach down. It is 2 sides as well.
    I have 1/2 loaves of whole wheat/cranberrry/walnut bread in the freezer. I took one out when I got up this morning.
    I have 3 dozen organic eggs in the fridge. 1 dozen has been boiled for snacks or egg salad/pita chip lunches this week.

For breakfast I made spinach, mushroom feta scrambled eggs along with a piece of buttered toast.

I'm off to sew for awhile. The next time I come in the kitchen, I'll see what else needs to be "saved"

Other than fudge making for my staff and 1 item each for 3 grands, I'm done with Christmas preparations.

December is not expensive for us since we have stopped most gift giving. About 10 years ago we all were taking pay cuts at work so decided getting together for a meal with friends was preferable. Our anniversary is on the 27th and we always go to a dinner show so that’s not cheap. If I ever have grandchildren of course I would buy them gifts.

Teacher Terry,

When each of my grandkids turned 1 year old I started contributing cash to 529 College Savings Plans for them. Over the years with 5 grandkids these plans have accumulated to about $70K in total. No matter what choices they will make on post-secondary education, their 529s can probably help. But if one grandkid has no need, that kid's account can be divided equally among the other grandkids' 529 College Savings Plans. And I also remind their parents once per year that I believe it preferable to save for college than to borrow.

As it happened with one family of grandchildren, their other set of grandparents goes off the deep end for Christmas (and birthday) toys. Their entire house is a Fibber McGee's Closet of toys (and pieces of toys). My dear wife always gives a Christmas present to each grandkid... and I support her, but I believe these gifts from us are soon buried and most likely forgotten by the kids.

With the 529 College Savings Plans, on the other hand, I see the account balances grow, rather than depreciate in value.

DP, my in-laws gave our kids savings bonds. I think what you are doing is great. My 3 boys don’t plan on children. My 2 step son’s would like to have kids. They both are doing extremely well financially and won’t need help with the kids college expenses. I find it sad when people go crazy with gifts for kids. So much good could be done with that money.

Yppej
    Afraid that Sears would go out of business I went to get my favorite camisoles. Only found one in a new color. At checkout I found out it was on sale for $1.99 and I would have gotten more except it was such a long wait to get through checkout despite the nearly empty parking lot I was not going through that hassle a second time. The store is very poorly run, so no temptation to shop there.

I am using donated fabric received in the mail last year for my charity quilts right now. An online pal was helping her Mom disperse her stash to people who would use it, not stash it. I've worked my way through about 30 yards from her. I have less than 10 yards left now......I think.

I'm about to put binding on one so I have handwork tonight for TV time.

At my September charity group I took 3 bags of 12 blocks made with patriotic theme. I finished them into 2 tops with fabric my sister brought me because "I am done making patriotic anything". I just finished quilting one made with 12 of those blocks and a big piece from my sister for the backing (lap/wheelchair size). It is trimmed and ready for binding as well. The other 24 blocks are made up into a single larger quilt. I will quilt it next as soon as I figure out a backing. I expect it will be quilted before bedtime

I got a brand new pair of jeans that are my preferred brand from Goodwill for $3.75 and two mugs for $1.00 each that I should be able to flip on eBay for a profit. I just sold a gold pin that I no longer wear on eBay for $60. That was my 11th sale since I promised myself back in February that I would figure out how to sell stuff on eBay.
    We got 3 tins of Belgian chocolate cookies at Costco for $12.99 each for holiday host/hostess gifts. We bumped into these last year and they were very good and very popular.

Thread Information