Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counseling question-who to choose?

Counseling question-who to choose?

I saw a counselor in the 90s for about 5 years off and on. She was a great help at the time. Since then I have been doing a lot on my own, when faced with the question-"Should I call for an appointment?" I was able to work through the issue. But now I feel I need a "tune up" as I cannot seem to pinpoint the malaise. My question for those of you who might be reading this is-"Do I go back to her-she has left the practice which takes insurance and I don't know yet if she does- or is it better to start fresh with a new person and just address the most recent issues?" I don't know that the past history is important in the new issues. Thanks.

Yppej
    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." - Faulkner

I would see the one from the past because she was helpful before. Not all therapists are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would see the one from the past because she was helpful before. Not all therapists are good.
    yes, very good advice!

DH has occasional problems with anxiety, and visits a therapist for a tune up a few times every few years. Last time I urged him to hunt up his previous therapist for the reason stated above—he found her helpful, she worked with his physician on prescribing appropriate medication foe a short time. She didnt even have notes on him since it had been several years since he had seen her.

I do worry about having to find a competent therapist if either of us need that service. It seems that so many are, umm, not stable ( to put it delicately) themselves or are incompetant. I wouldnt want fo have to identify a good professional during a mental health breakdown. We dont have the insurance limitation, we just pay the fee. I think it was around $100 per session last time for DH.

Last time I urged him to hunt up his previous therapist for the reason stated above—he found her helpful, she worked with his physician on prescribing appropriate medication foe a short time. She didnt even have notes on him since it had been several years since he had seen her.
    interesting point, they may not actually remember that much about you (it seemed to happen a lot even when was working with them). They see a lot of people, they all start to blur, especially after time. So I'm honestly not sure it matters all that much. Yes this therapist was helpful in the past, but even what was helpful a couple decades ago might not be now.
    Trees don't grow on money

IL, definitely unstable therapists for sure.
    Last edited by Teacher Terry; 12-3-18 at 8:11pm.

If it's only a "tune-up" session or three, I'd seek out the previous therapist. Not only can it be hard to find a competent/good therapist; there is then the matter of the chemistry between the therapist and the client. Finding a good new therapist you get along with is not necessarily simple. Even then, that person would need extensive backgrounding before being able to help. Better to save that for a substantially different course of treatment, IMHO.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for the advice, folks. I'm going to call her tomorrow and see if she is even taking old clients. I know several people who have been in counseling and not one felt their person was "unstable". Mine is a LCSW_C which is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker Counselor- I get the feeling they tend to be more proactive with what is causing the problem NOW and how to solve it NOW...old stuff surfaces in the new situation and is dealt with then. Not much deep childhood analysis except how it is affecting your life now. I liked that approach. It still took 2 or 3 years, then 2 tune ups over the years I was with her, but the goal was to get on with it! I used her technique frequently in the last 20 years on my own and generally could figure out just what the "problem" was, so I feel confident she'll be able to restore my balance. I keep thinking it is like the chiropractor....you can do all the stretches for months, but sometimes you just need to go back and have a session with the professional. Thanks again.

Yes that’s one of my graduate degrees and the approach is to look forward. I got mine in 1990 and that was the emphasis back then as well. I hope your therapist is still taking patients. It’s not always easy to find a good one.

Thread Information