Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Day in the Life of a Minimalist

I find beauty in all kinds of design from layer-on-layer Boho, to MCM, to industrial chic, to French Country... If I were going to design a space, it would likely be a riot of color, short on the knick-knacks. I was raised in a house full of glassware and antiques, and while I appreciate those things I've experienced them, and prefer other styles. Lots of color, pattern, and texture--and some whimsy--would make me happy. I'm not particularly concerned with how others arrange their space.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I worded my original comment awkwardly, and what I said was not an accurate representation of what was in my head.
    I know that feeling. Been there many-a-time!

My point was -- and I'm just throwing out an example here, this is not a dig or judgement-- if I had a goal for 12 items in my kitchen cupboards but none of those 12 items was a second cup for a guest, should I be happy in achieving that 12 item number, if it precludes a higher priority which is having company. Or if I did go get an extra cup so I could invite someone to tea, should I beat myself up because I no longer have my goal number of items.
    I would say that your higher priority is the one that matters most in minimalism. So if you like to have friends over for tea you should have (and would want) all the accouterments. But that billiards table in the garage you have not used since 1997 -- yeah, that can go. It does not serve your higher priority of entertaining friends with tea.

This does not apply to you, as you mention that you have played around with numbers to find your personal sweet spot. I was speaking more theoretical, about the principle I've seen on some minimalist discussions that one is a "good" minimalist if they have less than x things. The implication being that you are a bad minimalist if you have more (and should feel some guilt or shame for not having achieved this artifical goal).
    I don't often hear anyone calling anyone a bad minimalist. That would be a very rare occurrence, maybe even a nonoccurence. I have, however, seen aspiring minimalists feel some guilt about having so much more than they need or can use. They want to want to get rid of stuff. But they just don't seem to have the mental strength to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find the idea of keeping track of one’s stuff a little obsessive and crazy but it’s harmless.
    How do you feel about counting calories or counting steps walked or miles ran?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I see traits of OCD in people who are extreme minimalists. Especially who make YouTube videos about it.
    Give me a few examples?

I have no desire to be a Minimalist. But I also don’t like having a lot of clutter around either. When we moved from St. Louis I got rid of quite a few possessions, but I’ve noticed we are starting to accumulate quite a bit again. I need to start getting rid of some stuff.

Now if I can figure out how to stop the constant delivery from Amazon that seems to deposit something on my doorstep every other day it would be easier.

Got me! I count both steps and calories but it affects my health versus possessions doesn’t.

Compared to the average American lifestyle, we are minimalists. By definition we are not. That said, we've been in our 1850sf home since 1991. We still have empty cupboard/closet space. We DON'T do clutter. Everything has it's place and it's put away when not in use or when done being used. Generally, we're picked up before bedtime. I always have a box for the thrift store. When i come across something unused for awhile, in the box it goes. I probably take a full box twice a year still. We did a huge purge about 20ish years ago when we re-carpeted the entire house in 2 weeks. Emptied half the rooms into the garage and purged as it came back in. Rinse and repeat.

And like DMC, we really have no desire to be minimalist. I don't care how many "items" i own. I do care that we use what we have, otherwise it needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Compared to the average American lifestyle, we are minimalists. By definition we are not. That said, we've been in our 1850sf home since 1991. We still have empty cupboard/closet space. We DON'T do clutter. Everything has it's place and it's put away when not in use or when done being used. Generally, we're picked up before bedtime. I always have a box for the thrift store. When i come across something unused for awhile, in the box it goes. I probably take a full box twice a year still. We did a huge purge about 20ish years ago when we re-carpeted the entire house in 2 weeks. Emptied half the rooms into the garage and purged as it came back in. Rinse and repeat.

And like DMC, we really have no desire to be minimalist. I don't care how many "items" i own. I do care that we use what we have, otherwise it needs to go.
    Uh... I hate to break it to you, but you might be a minimalist. haha

I look at minimalism as a personal choice. As long as it is a choice that makes you feel better without interfering with someone else’s freedom ..... and I feel the same about clutter.

In short, this minimalist joke sums up my understanding of an obvious misapplication of minimalism.

”Two Irishmen walk past a bar.”

Dmc, I find that amazon stops sending you things if you stop sending them money.