Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Day in the Life of a Minimalist

Williamsmith
    I am interested in the apparent inconsistency of a form a minimalism that manifests itself in obsession and compulsion over routines which are intended to take advantage of efficiency but develop harmful rigid behaviors that interfere with one’s ability to accept change. Is the form of minimalism a result of certain brain function or does the minimalism cause a change in brain function?

What would happen to a man who lives a charmed life in control of every aspect of his daily activities if he would lose control of the orderliness? Depression, anxiety, fear or paranoia. So are the forms of minimalism expressed here, actually healthy?

A person like this can be easily manipulated by applying stress to his daily routine. What appears to be a well adjusted balanced human is possibly a nervous wreck waiting for a place to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I am interested in the apparent inconsistency of a form a minimalism that manifests itself in obsession and compulsion over routines which are intended to take advantage of efficiency but develop harmful rigid behaviors that interfere with one’s ability to accept change. Is the form of minimalism a result of certain brain function or does the minimalism cause a change in brain function?

What would happen to a man who lives a charmed life in control of every aspect of his daily activities if he would lose control of the orderliness? Depression, anxiety, fear or paranoia. So are the forms of minimalism expressed here, actually healthy?

A person like this can be easily manipulated by applying stress to his daily routine. What appears to be a well adjusted balanced human is possibly a nervous wreck waiting for a place to happen.
    I would actually suggest that you watch some of his other videos. You might be less worried about his mental health or his rigidity.

But let us suppose your concerns are valid. What would be your alternatives to his charmed life?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would actually suggest that you watch some of his other videos. You might be less worried about his mental health or his rigidity.

But let us suppose your concerns are valid. What would be your alternatives to his charmed life?
    My comment was more of an exploration, not a criticism of this one man’s lifestyle. I’m just musing about the possible weaknesses of the lifestyle. Flexibility and adaptability could be characteristics which might be eventually lost. I’m wondering how he might handle not being able to work out at the gym regularly, or a change in his eating schedule or diet, or a change in his partners daily routine or the addition of a child or two of three to raise. Anecdotally I see couples who never have kids or these challenges (married teachers for example) become very inflexible in not only their habits and routines but their politics. How do you compare? What are your similarities and differences to this chap?

My comment was more of an exploration, not a criticism of this one man’s lifestyle. I’m just musing about the possible weaknesses of the lifestyle. Flexibility and adaptability could be characteristics which might be eventually lost. I’m wondering how he might handle not being able to work out at the gym regularly, or a change in his eating schedule or diet, or a change in his partners daily routine or the addition of a child or two of three to raise. Anecdotally I see couples who never have kids or these challenges (married teachers for example) become very inflexible in not only their habits and routines but their politics. How do you compare? What are your similarities and differences to this chap?
    Ah, okay, I definitely encourage intellectual exploration. haha

I think that the various forms of minimalism certainly have their weaknesses. Though I would say almost all lifestyles have weaknesses.

The chap in the video has done other videos, such as one where he goes to Australia for a couple weeks to stay with his wife's family. And he explains how he works out at a nearby park because he can't do his normal gym routine. So he does various push-ups to failure and such.

He also does a video on how he stays healthy while traveling. This includes preparing some basic, healthy meals but also indulging in some of the local flavor.

His minimalism and mine are different, for a lot of reasons. He lives with his wife, who is not a minimalist. So her closet and her other areas are a bit chaotic. But his attitude is "Oh, well, whatcha gonna do?" And he just keeps his area tidy and they both keep common areas tidy. Her closet remains stuffed. haha

I don't know his plans to have kids or remain child-free.

I think being minimalist in my way helps me to be more flexible when traveling, for instance. I have stayed in various Air BnBs -- sometimes with families or couples or an older retireee. Sometimes I get a whole apartment with all my own facilities. Sometimes I am in a little, tiny room in a house with several other guests. Sometimes I have to share a bathroom. And so on, so I just roll with it. After all, I have little luggage and I don't overload my time.

The chap in the video is upper middle class. Whereas I am working class. My minimalism is not a visually appealing or stylish. I am a pragmatic minimalist. He has his own successful business. I am just a loan drone grunt for the gubmint. Those are just a few of the differences.

But I think he and I are similar in the sense that we want to live meaningful lives. That fuels our minimalism. I would argue he is much more successful and that than I am. We also both want to streamline the annoying or just not enjoyable things in life. I wear the same outfits to work every M,T,W, Th, and F. This is similar to his all grey shirts. haha We minimalists do this because it is easier, simpler, and does not take up any decision-making energy.

Many minimalists are child-free by choice. Does the idea of being child-free by choice bother you in some way?

Williamsmith
    Many minimalists are child-free by choice. Does the idea of being child-free by choice bother you in some way?”

As a basic belief, one should be about doing anything one wants as long as it doesn’t do violence to others or interfere with the status of another’s property. I’m good with your child free minimalism. Preferring that those who have children are motivated to raise productive honest citizens and those who aren’t motivated remain child free.

I am interested in the apparent inconsistency of a form a minimalism that manifests itself in obsession and compulsion over routines which are intended to take advantage of efficiency but develop harmful rigid behaviors that interfere with one’s ability to accept change.
    Exactly.

It’s not emotionally nor mentally minimalistic when every waking moment is focused on counting things and maintaining perfect order.

To clarify - I’m not commenting on the man in the video necessarily. I’m commenting on various minimalists I have observed over the years who seem to be driven by obsession in their thoughts and compulsion in their living.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post

It’s not emotionally nor mentally minimalistic when every waking moment is focused on counting things and maintaining perfect order.

It isn't? I think that if a person likes to count their things and focus on perfect order in their surroundings and that makes them happier, then more power to them. Good on them.

Minimalism, outside of the fundamentals, is what you make of it.

I have minimalist friends here who live in ways I would not want to live, but they are minimalists.

Why so concerned over this, Tammy? Why the strong feelings? I am asking sincerely. I am not baiting you.

I have a calendar on my wall with my obligations and appointments and such. In one corner each month I will write the couple of things I add or subtract from my belongings. Then at the end of the month I will put them in my spreadsheet. Would you consider this obsessive? Just curious...

Would you consider this obsessive? Just curious...
    I would, but its not my life. You do you. From my perspective, the energy involved of keeping constant inventory, and feeling bad about it if my possessions exceed some artificially determined number (or conversely, having some sense of pride because I'm below some artificially determined number) isn't how I want to spend my limited mental energy. If I need to add a few extra cups because I want to have friends over, then why beat myself up for adding to my inventory? I prioritize relationships more highly than things. Does an empty apartment love you back?

When does a useful habit become an unhealthy obsession? Seems mostly like a matter of personal preference to me. More an esthetic choice than a syndrome. Some may prefer extreme decluttering. Some don’t see it as worth the effort. An empty room won’t love you back, but neither will many relationships.

Thread Information