Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP GHW Bush

RIP GHW Bush

Possibly the last authentic gentleman to hold the office of President of the United States. No ethical triangulation. No leading from behind. No nation building. No childish petulance.

I had a lot going on in my life then and did not pay much attention to politics. So I only vaguely remember him. I suppose that's a good thing as he didn't cause much of a ruckus. I do remember his infamous, "read my lips" statements. The news has played him up as a gentleman, which is important in my world. The Republican party seems a lot different now, even excepting 45.

I could make a rather off the cuff statement that Republicans have promoted their popularity but reducing taxes and not cutting spending, which never seems to work out. I'm not totally certain that is accurate.

Yes I agree he was a decent person and president. However, I find Obama to be totally authentic and he didn’t have any scandals.

Yppej
    Three of the four living ex-presidents are Democrats now. Maybe we should work on evening things out by making Trump an ex.

President Carter was an honorable man; perhaps too honorable for his own good.

Bush 41 should be given due credit for a life of service to his country.

Jane, I forgot about Carter. A man that lives his values.

I agree with what people said about him.. A decent, honorable man.

I have to admit, I was disappointed to see rancorous comments about him following Bernie Sanders' online condolence post on Facebook. Can't people EVER put things behind them? "Good riddance" is NOT an appropriate response to this man's death, no matter how different your politics are.

And this is a silly thing that I've been wondering about.. why couldn't 43 make it from Dallas to Houston to see his Dad off? The NYTimes said that he talked to him on speaker phone. None of my business, but I was just curious.

Anyway, I liked George Bush because he seemed like a decent human being, because he was adventurous in his old age, because he was beyond adventurous--he bravely served his country in WWII, because he had a 73 year love affair with his wife, and because he gave Dana Carvey such great fodder to work with.

Last edited by catherine; 12-2-18 at 7:35pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I did not agree with his politics at all, and I am not a CIA fan. I did think that he and his wife handled the death of their young daughter with incredible grace and dignity, and I admire them both very much for that. I also admire them for loving their large extended family very much. Since we are distant cousins, (both descended from Abiel Bush) I guess I will go with " a death in the family" and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes I agree he was a decent person and president. However, I find Obama to be totally authentic and he didn’t have any scandals.
    I never saw Obama as a classic gentleman. He spent eight years in such intense self-celebration that he didn’t notice his party withering. In that sense, he was the other side of the Trump coin.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I never saw Obama as a classic gentleman. He spent eight years in such intense self-celebration that he didn’t notice his party withering. In that sense, he was the other side of the Trump coin.
    Larry Elder said this back in 2016: "The legacy of Barack Obama is Donald Trump."

Thread Information