Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP GHW Bush

Alan, how awesome that you got to spend a day with him. How did that happen? I see Bush as a honorable man and am enjoying hearing more about his early life on tv. L, if anyone is in to self celebrating it would be the orange baboon. On Veterans Day Obama walked the cemetery and talked to people and he isn’t even the president.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, how awesome that you got to spend a day with him. How did that happen?
    Local side of an executive protection detail. He came to town for a morning and evening event and I was the local security rep.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

A good friend of mine did executive protection for a bank. More than once he had to fly to a foreign country to negotiate the release of a bank president. He had some interesting stories.

I hope it’s not disrespectful, but possibly a bit of gallows humor. When I saw the headlines saying, Bush lies in state, my mind flipped to the 45 version of lies, and had to correct myself. I guess i’ve been conditioned by the media.

Yppej
    One commentator said don't whitewash the candidate who used the Willy Horton ad.

No one is perfect. I am glad the whole world won’t be inspecting everything I have said or done. We can’t expect people to be perfect.

Yppej
    But the expectation is exactly perfection in most cases, that only good things can be said about the dead, even when they themselves are humble and have admitted to mistakes. A president is a public figure, and eventually historians will present a balanced picture. A good example is Kearnes Goodwin's portrayal of Johnson in Leadership in Troubled Times.

Since you don't want your life examined, stay a private citizen.

The eulogies for McCain were more realistic because people talked about his temper.

I actually saw a balanced review of Bush that said later he regretted that ad. I am in no danger of becoming famous)

My George HW Bush memory: I was a reporter on the staff of the Hamtramck Citizen in the late summer/early fall of 1992. This is a little town totally surrounded by Detroit. They had a big Polish fest Labor Day weekend. Bush is going to walk in the parade. Early in the day I see a guy walking around with this 6-8ft tall pole, with a bunch of broccoli hanging from the top. During the parade, Bush is walking along, directly opposite me, when all of a sudden broccoli begins raining down on him and the cops/Secret Service around him. The Hamtramck police chief was cowering from the broccoli with a file folder in hand as a shield. It’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in person. Police chief didn’t like being reminded that he cowered from a broccoli onslaught! ����

George HW Bush did champion the ADA and raise taxes when it was necessary to do so.
    And he despised the current occupant of the White House, saying "Trump doesn't know what it means to be president."

Thread Information