Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ate bad food

How long had the beans been in he fridge? I mostly cook for one and usually have leftovers. Some I freeze, but I worry about what's in the fridge and sometimes forget the exact day it was fixed. I'd probably go 5 days or so with most things without meat or fish.

ZG, after nearly two decades in Asia (and more than my share of food poisoning) my go-to remedy for intestinal stuff is the Chinese medicine Huang Lian Su -- active ingredient is Berberine. It is also widely used in India. I once woke in the middle of the night with horrible gastro stuff, took four pills as soon as I was able, and by the time I left for the airport at 5am my system was relatively calm. It stops the vomiting and diarrhea pretty quickly, but as long as you go slow and gradual with the dosing it doesn't back you up like things like Immodium will.

Its available on Amazon - might be able to find it cheaper in an Asian market if they have a Chinese medicine section. Here is one brand:

https://www.amazon.com/Huang-Lian-Ta.../dp/B002P7DZ7G

If I'm experiencing major symptoms, I take 4 tablets the first dose, then an additional 2 every 4 hours or so. For lighter symptoms, I'll start with 2 tablets.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

My food reaction story: I was in San Francisco doing research and decided to stop for lunch at the Embarcardero before catching my flight home. I had a half dozen raw oysters and a glass of wine. I got to the airport, boarded the packed flight, took my middle seat in the very last row, and just as we started taxing, I felt this awful wave of nausea come over me and I started sweating profusely. I asked the man who had the aisle seat if he would mind switching because I was sure I was going to have to use the bathroom, which he graciously agreed to.

Good thing. As soon as we were airborne I ran to the bathroom, and was too sick to go back to my seat for the entire cross country trip. I spent 5 hours in an airline bathroom. It was so nasty (and I won't go into too much detail).

As I was sitting there 36,000 feet in the air, I thought back to the only other two times in my life I had raw oysters--once on my honeymoon in Acapulco, when I got sick--but I chalked it up to Montezuma's revenge. And once on our 10th wedding anniversary in New Orleans, when I also got sick, but I chalked it up to the partying I had done on Bourbon St. that night.

Needless to say, I haven't had an oyster since that plane ride from San Fran.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

3 for 3. That could be an intolerance or allergy, rather than food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    3 for 3. That could be an intolerance or allergy, rather than food poisoning.
    That's what I was thinking, too. I'm not allergic or intolerant to anything else--and I love seafood and shellfish, so it's strange that it's JUST oysters, and raw ones. DH used to make oyster stew and I ate that with no reaction, so there's something in raw oysters that I don't react well to.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The beans were in the fridge less than 5 days so who knows why they spoiled fast.

I will get some of that lhamo. I have a very sensitive system overall. I have never been able to drink coffee for example. Alcohol is no temptation between my stomach reaction and the crushing depression after. Before I figured out my fructose intolerance I had some really bad episodes. The information I have says I could have issues with more foods, so far I dont see a big reaction.

I have had food poisoning a few times and I always let it run it’s course. I figure you need to rid your body of the poison. My husband has a cast iron stomach but not me.

I looked up Berberine. It actually sounded like quite the interesting supplement and am surprised I'd not heard of it. There are what seemed like some serious drug interactions with certain prescription medications and some other warnings from what the internet provided anyway, but it sounded like a cure all for a number of medical conditions. Interesting. Might be a good thing to have in the medicine cabinet.

Thread Information