Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we have a set point

I think that there is some part of it that has nothing to do with circumstance. It is just life with my chronic brain illness. Through the day i tend to feel better, also less sick feeling, by evening I can usually eat well.

I was listening to this interview today with a woman who host a podcast about depression -- you might find it (the interview, but also the podcast) interesting:

https://www.jordanharbinger.com/kris...ur-own-battle/

Another thing that comes up for a lot of people this time of year is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and Vitamin D deficiency. I know I suffer from the former. Probably from the latter.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I will check that out lhamo, in Colorado we generally are good on vitamin D but with all the high sunscreen levels it can affect it. I took the kids outside yesterday and took a walk in the morning but it was cloudy, still it helped a lot to stay active, I actually really loved being out when it was 20.

I was really unhappy growing up, a very sad kid and young adult. Now I'm very happy. My circumstances have been kind of extreme, though.

I think there is a set point of sorts. I also believe we can move the dial with concerted effort. Reducing stress and/or removing oneself from a very stressful life (job, family or whatever), does wonders for the happiness set point and the effects of a depressive personality. I've done it myself.

ZG, I would think your set point has moved positively having removed yourself from the overtly negative job of the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I think there is a set point of sorts. I also believe we can move the dial with concerted effort. Reducing stress and/or removing oneself from a very stressful life (job, family or whatever), does wonders for the happiness set point and the effects of a depressive personality. I've done it myself.

ZG, I would think your set point has moved positively having removed yourself from the overtly negative job of the past?
    I think this is very true. When I got out of my incredibly negative full time gig, I was instantly happier. When I work part time for them, I feel the stress immediately and am less happy.

But I have dealt with depression all my life, as has my father, my cousin, his mother, his uncle, etc. etc. I am pretty sure it is brain chemistry and hard wired into us.

I was also thinking that, and my stress and anxiety are VERY much less. I think that is what people are noticing in me. So that does make me happier or at least more content overall.

As far as depression i learned a long time ago to separate it from circumstances. My brain does this, sometimes there are factors that can affect it, but I really can't take it personally. I used tontry and find causes, spent hours writing in journals, talking to people, etc. And then I saw that during the times I had what I had worked for it happened, and times when things went very wrong I was also depressed.

Taking away the hypomanic is hard, my medication has done a good job of mellowing me out. I didn't realize I was nutty and hyper, just thought i was very smart and fun. I need to watch my mood, my food, my sleep and meditation, and my exercise daily.just that could be tiring!

Thanks for the discussion all

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Taking away the hypomanic is hard, my medication has done a good job of mellowing me out. I didn't realize I was nutty and hyper, just thought i was very smart and fun. I need to watch my mood, my food, my sleep and meditation, and my exercise daily.just that could be tiring!
    Thanks for the discussion all
    I have a friend who laments that she always meets potential mates during her hypomanic states, and then loses them when the inevitable depression sets in. I think her current medication has fixed that.

Thread Information